Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

$250 Rotors?!

blacksnapon

Staff member
I will use a large ball peen hammer and using the "ball" side, hit between each stud. That expands the metal of the rotor and assists in the removal. Some have been stubborn enough that I had to use heat to remove them (and a BFH)

I will use a large ball peen hammer and using the "ball" side, hit between each stud. That expands the metal of the rotor and assists in the removal. Some have been stubborn enough that I had to use heat to remove them (and a BFH)

If I could find reasonably priced rotors, I'd worry about taking them off lol

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well the nice part is, since you're replacing them rather than turning them, you can beat the hell out of them and destroy them trying to get them off. That's what I did with the rotors on my mom's Lexus :D

Fellro

Staff member
Just have to be careful to not destroy the hub bearings in the process. I have been known to cut them from the outside, then split them off on Expy's... Heat between the studs can help maybe, but Vince's method sounds like a plan. Seems to be a common problem on these newer Fords to really stick the rotors.

Yeah I'll destroy em getting em off I dont care ...I just wanna find some affordable new ones first!!!

Fellro

Staff member
Have you checked with the local parts shops? I looked them up on Autozone's site, and they have them for 50.99, 2 yr warranty... so they shouldn't be that hard to get ahold of. Biggest headache will be getting them off.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
Warped rotors generally create a vibration in the brake pedal, not the steering wheel...

actually chris, having warped front rotors can cause a HUGE vibration when braking, believe me ive replaced numerous rotors on cars/trucks with the exact problem. ive actually had that problem in my truck too. now if its a vibration when your not braking or when your braking or not that would be an alignment or other problem associated with the steering/suspension

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I had really bad warped rotors, both of them, and it would only make my brake pedal pulse. I didnt feel anything in the steering at all.

Have you checked with the local parts shops? I looked them up on Autozone's site, and they have them for 50.99, 2 yr warranty... so they shouldn't be that hard to get ahold of. Biggest headache will be getting them off.

Yeah I've seen the cheaper ones too but I'm betting mine are gonna be the expensive ones that come with the bearings and all...

Fellro

Staff member
Those were 05's I looked up. Haven't seen any that had the bearing as part of the assembly, but they do sometimes come off pretty hard, so then they cut to the chase and buy the bearings too. Do you have a breakdown of the parts they had on the quote, or did they just shoot a price without disclosing what parts exactly they are using? I am kind of surprised no one has developed a tool for pulling these rotor off... However, I have heard of some using the caliper mount holes to run a bolt through and push on the rotor from the back side, which allows you to hammer back on the outside and knock the rotor loose...

I guess with what I am trying to find, I should ask - do you have the 2wd, or 4wd? I had been assuming 4wd, which the more I try to find out, the more I think it is the 2wd... those rotors are about $90 each, and yes, they have the hub integral, but you don't necessarily HAVE to replace the bearings, but isn't an overly bad idea... you do need new seals though.

Last edited:
Whatever happened to the days when you could swap a rotor for a new one in like 10 min flat?? Geez. They go and make things more complicated in the name of 'performance' - bullsh*t!

But to answer your question, yes it's a 2WD Supercrew

Fellro

Staff member
Actually, those rotors will swap about as easy, they are still that design. But with the hub as part of the rotor, they have extra cost...

mSaLL150

California Chapter member
Warped rotors generally create a vibration in the brake pedal, not the steering wheel... Though you rotors may actually be warped, it might not be enough to really cause a problem. I'd lean more towards bad alignment if you're getting a shake in the steering wheel when braking.
in our IFS trucks, the steering wheel vibrates hard with warped rotors for some reason. A couple years ago I (stupidly) drove through a running river on a hunting trip and got crap in my brakes, warped the s*** out of my rotors. The steering wheel would go nuts when braking and the whole truck would shake.

To the OP: I bet you could get better aftermarket rotors for cheaper then that price.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
...what does your front suspension have anything to do with pulling power? [confused] Oh I forgot that your front axle adds 100 hp.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts