Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 Tear Down

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
if id pulled everything i woulda done it hands down... but didnt so not...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
it was a good thing i decided to do the oil cooler...

IMG-20150612-01231_zpsgq8kle0c.jpg

because im pretty sure that... is not supposed to look like that... plus i found little copper looking granules both in the filter assembly.. and in the lower housing..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
So for the last 3 days ive been trying to get my new oil cooler installed... and on day 3.. still not accomplished... APPARENTLY they designed the system to work with the 14" trans cooler.. but some 6.0's came with a heavier duty 17" trans oil cooler.. unfortunately mine was one of them that had the 17" so i had to modify the stock one to sit lower..

But MN and my truck threw me a couple curve balls... 1st (and most annoying curve ball).. the U-speed nuts they used on the frames.. nature did her deed and rusted them that as soon as you tried to undo the bolts it broke and just spun on the inside of the frame... So after spending an afternoon fighting with those i thought i was moving ahead... until i lost one of the ones i salvaged from my old radiator.. GRRRR!!!... it went to land of WTH did that thing go???

and APPARENTLY.. all the ones on this truck are done with m6x1" u-speed nuts... do you think i can find METRICS!!! anywhere here?? noooo... ended up buying set of 4 standard 1/4"x20 u-speed nuts and new body bolts to replace them...

yesterday i spent the afternoon slowly cutting down and channeling the lower support feet to bolt the trans cooler back to the lower cross member... didnt get finished... did get it finished today... just need to get the oil cooler bolted in now... will also need to get an elbow for the driver side hose as with it lowered it kinda has a small kink in it.. so will fix that with a 90* elbow before i refill it...

maybe now ill be able to get the new oil cooler in...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
got a little progress done today... after work

IMG-20150619-01257_zpsjggxdpry.jpg

IMG-20150619-01258_zpsm6cfkyzg.jpg

IMG-20150619-01260_zps596w5asz.jpg

IMG-20150619-01261_zpsajcdnw0o.jpg

IMG-20150619-01263_zpsphc8d1j0.jpg

so glad the hood latch is back in.. was getting annoying having to tie the hood down all the time...

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n23/Shawn1983/New%20truck%202/IMG-20150619-01264_zpsyvlrv6d4.jpg[.img]

[IMG]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n23/Shawn1983/New%20truck%202/IMG-20150619-01265_zpsw7jmvxjq.jpg

my adventure for tomorrow...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Watch that stuff especially in your climate, it tends to trap moisture/salt resulting in unhappiness.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Watch that stuff especially in your climate, it tends to trap moisture/salt resulting in unhappiness.

itll be under the hood :) biggest thing is the direction you wrap it... figure with diesel exhaust (from what ive heard) running in the 700-1200 range.. it should be good.. i know bikers have issues with it in just a matter of a yr or 2.. but theyre exhaust is always out in the elements.. im only wrapping the y-pipe itself.. and the other up pipe piece.. with where it sits it should keep it pretty dry...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
True enough as that is what I've seen (bikes)

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
for me the reason for doing it.. the stock pipe had heat shields welded to it.. where the new pipe does not.. and with all the heat the diesel makes im worried it might damage the sensors that sit "maybe" an inch away from it that the shields use to protect...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
image_zps5qp0rxxa.jpg

got the y-pipe wrapped... now i just need to do the passenger side up pipe... soon as the extra webbing arrives :(

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i went out to work on the truck tonight.. only to find someones stolen all my heat insulation...

image_zps3hboh0mr.jpg

image_zpsr2rjkkuj.jpg

shame on them... tehehehe

image_zpshrvfskin.jpg

ohh wait... there it is... lol

image_zpsy9gjzxfc.jpg

firewall one just looks ripped up...

image_zpsi1wb8ahm.jpg

the one from over the turbo looks like itd been on fire a few times... was getting annoying finding it on the engine just about every time i opened the hood...

image_zpsazaebmr8.jpg

shiny new stuff.. :) and thinner too :)

image_zpsga9hcndk.jpg

now i just gotta do the bit that was over the turbo..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
worked on the area above the turbo today...

image_zpss5fcovi7.jpg

just as its going in...

image_zpskjx1fwir.jpg

image_zpsqk6ydh7u.jpg

i actually exposed some of the scraps to direct flame... surprised it didnt catch fire.. or really get all that hot...

image_zpsdzysybqf.jpg

did discover a problem though.. was going through the box i been keeping the tools in i been using on the truck.. and found a bag of bolts that didnt get labeled... now i have no clue what they went to... :(

image_zps0gda1sr8.jpg

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Looking good mate!!!
You'll soon find where the bolts go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks mate... once i get the heads in it should go quickly after that...

sure hope so.. theyre all saturated with oil too..

blacksnapon

Staff member
The ones on top are exhaust manifold bolts, the bottom ones could be anything, probably rocker box bolts or top head bolts.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
not the exhaust ones i know that... they were in another bag that was labeled and all rusty... but did manage to figure out what they were though... found the bag i did get labeled for the driver side... (dad put them in the other bag for the passenger side... probably why they didnt get labeled and ended up in the garage)..

the ones with the spacers are the rocker bridge hold downs.. the others are the ones from inside the rocker box that hold it to the heads...

Spent the day cleaning up all the bolts from the engine... (i swear theres a 1000 of these things on this engine).. got all the ones to be reused cleaned up.. but going to have to replace a few.. was missing one for the turbo stand itself that holds it to the block.. the ones for the up pipes ended up stripping the heads off of.. (BOOOO)... and nature was evil to one of the exhaust manifold bolts... it got in between the spacer and the bolt and rotted it away to a skinny little thing... so will be going for a new one tomorrow... stores are closed now...

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
got the one head in today... ironically the one that was easiest to take out was the biggest night mare to get back in.. hate to think of what the pass sides going to be like... didnt get any finished pics.. but heres what i did get...

image_zpsbcadh5oq.jpg

head dangling over the engine lol.. dad was a little annoyed by that part of me wanting to take that pic..

image_zpsee2yuvhy.jpg

nice new gasket..

image_zpstpdv4hgq.jpg

and partly reinstalled... did get it mostly finished up.. but after rolling my ankle getting off the truck i was kinda done with it... oil rail still needs to go back in then i can get the valve cover on if my new seals for the breather ever get here...

now for the downside of today... managed to break off one of the bolts for the exhaust manifold.. (BOOOO) wasnt even all the way in yet when that happend.. still had an 1/8" before it started grabbing the spacer when it snapped.. and of course it didnt snap flat either (like they ever do).. but was inside the head.. such a pita getting that out.. them exhaust bolts are either made of really soft steel or this thing was that weak.. even the EZ outs were chewing through it like a drill bit..

also while rebuilding the injectors.. the one seals i cant easily replace split.. which was the one that seals around the oil rail.. ended up scavenging from the other kits so now ill have to buy a new set of those to finish the other side...

so right now i need 2 new Exhaust bolts.. (one that snapped and the other nature chewed through).. 1 new turbo pedestal bolt (one was missing when i pulled it out).. and new seal kit...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Lots of work man! How long you think til it goes again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends on how nature decides to be is the biggest part.. if the passenger side is anything like the driverside was to install it could be an all day job again just to get it in..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Worked a little bit today...

image_zpse79nuwtd.jpg

put the new glow sticks in...

image_zpszdbdzcvd.jpg

oil stand feed pipes in... oil rails on.. and even though the pic doesnt show it i did get the valve cover on but ran into a problem...

image_zpsqlnkcdq9.jpg

one of the valve cover bolts stripped the threads outta the rocker box... and didnt take much either... wasnt putting much pressure on it.. was using my 1/4" ratchet... all the others tightened up.. this one never did... and what really sucks is its one of the ones that hold the Ficm bracket in place..

another downside... i noticed tonight apparently my FICM mounting brackets missing 3 of the grommets that go around the valve cover stems to reduce the vibration from the engine... anyone know where i can get those grommets from?? and their part numbers... googles not being much help... lots of threads about people whining about the ficms bushings itself..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
image_zpsxenkndv1.jpg

image_zpsohdgj3ta.jpg

image_zpsi4v4vbnz.jpg

its getting there... but realized i have to pull the air box back off so i can get the glow sticks and glow harness back on... opps...

image_zpstjkbmiai.jpg

how they all looked before except the newest ones..

image_zpstbbmrsgd.jpg

image_zps6mebzi3b.jpg

how they all looked going back in... had a couple with clogged nozzles... now theyre all clean

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts