Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 Tear Down

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
image_zpsqfdqfcgk.jpg

almost forgot these lol... 3/4" tq wrench... 6ft pipe...

image_zpspbqdisgz.jpg

last torque pulls..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
ive got 2 bent ones sitting in the bag of old ones lol...

did make an unexpectant discovery though... had to pull the AC box back apart today so i could get to the passenger side of the engine...

image_zps3gvmwjm3.jpg

was in the box looking for the parts to put the fuel lines back on and discovered those sitting in the bottom still... pretty sure theyre important to making the engine go lol.. also couldnt get the glow plug harness on yesterday either... good thing i couldnt lol...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Yeah wouldn't go far without those plugging the holes!!
Looking good man! You should come down here and help with mine when your done!!

i hope you have a lift to get the cab off... thats the only way i ever want to do this again... i swear its a headache with the cab on......

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Yeah I would popped the cab. I'm in the process of lifting the roof on my garage so I can fit a lift.

when we get moved to NC i plan to build a multi-vehicle garage with a high enough roof to put one in...

Forgot to say, mine a 7.3 so no hg problems!!

whats wrong with it then?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Just going to do some big mods!!
Btw what do you do for a living?

secretary at a debt collections law firm... little this little that... but also do the paperwork that either is the mandatory court appearance days.. or the ones that send the sheriff to your place to inventory all your toys lol.. people hate me when i issue those ones...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
so little more progress...

image_zpsi1q8nncq.jpg

got this shiney block of pretty aluminum put onto the engine...

image_zpsxwsdf8cj.jpg

i like a screen with no holes in it...

image_zpsxb3mkhi3.jpg

also got the intake on it...

and then went i was trying to remember how the big wire harness ran i made a small discovery..

image_zpsdijgqkpk.jpg

a small section of these wires caught a bit of sun to flash the tell tale copper shine off them and managed to catch my eye... (camera didnt do well on the focusing bit) was maybe 1/10" showing at first... upon investigation i started looking closer thinking maybe the wire just got pinched... cut the electrical tape off around the wire loom... pulled it off... then found more electrical tape wrapping these wires TOGETHER BARE!!!! being that they run to the turbos actuator im surprised i ever had acceleration.. course now this does make me wonder if this was the reason i had boost pressures that wouldnt always go to full on hard accel..

btw can anyone tell me if the big fat part of the harness is supposed to run through that front hole there where the alternator sits... i really cant remember if it did or not... or if it just ran around the back side of that bracket completely..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
#$^**!@!#$%#$#$@ WTH is it so hard to get the correct frickin parts for my truck!!!!!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Doing things right is always a chore...I don't know why that is.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Doing things right is always a chore...I don't know why that is.

yeah but youd think when going to the dealer.. id be able to get the right parts easily... but not with this truck.. PITA...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
yeah but youd think when going to the dealer.. id be able to get the right parts easily... but not with this truck.. PITA...

Not always....sometimes the dealers at at the mercy of the parts books....my air tank straps were a good example.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Not always....sometimes the dealers at at the mercy of the parts books....my air tank straps were a good example.

Ive been trying to get the small tiny bushings that go inside the ficm mounting bracket. But they cant seem go get them

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Take a picture and measure with a caliper sparky, I may have something here.
If so I'll shippy 2 u

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Take a picture and measure with a caliper sparky, I may have something here.
If so I'll shippy 2 u

image_zpst8etkvd8.jpg

bracket... the lower 2 holes and theres one off to the right near the top as well as where the broken stand piece near the top middle is supposed to be...

image_zpspru2lcib.jpg

the only grommet thats still in there.. rest turned literally to dust.. rubber outer core with a steel sleeve.. hole size in the middle is made for a M6 stud to go through...

image_zpsiraf5heh.jpg

back of the steel sleeve overlaps to the bracket..

image_zpstoqm0ewp.jpg

diameter of the bracket holes are .464" (11.79mm) across.. brackets height where the grommets sit .237" (6.03mm)

the steel sleeve insert inner dia .243" (6.17mm) outer dia of the sleeve inside the grommet is .343" (8.72mm).. Dia of the steel sleeve where it expands wider than the hole of the bracket .5735" (14.57mm)

these bushings serve to center & support the bracket on the valve cover studs.. it also helps suppress the vibrations from the engine from reaching the Fuel Injection Control Module.. Which it also has grommets of its own to help in addition to these others..

image_zpsm2ltlwvv.jpg

what i used to take the measurements.. they claim its supposed to be accurate to within .0001"

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
so you need a bushing with a steel sleeve in it?
I assume the one on the left is the one you are after?
Yes, caliper is what I wanted you to measure with.
I assume you need 5?

Ford Truck Articles