Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

no good ford v8's?

Well i been hearing alot of bad rep on ford v8's im convinced the only good ford v8s are the 351w and the 302. But i also heard that you have to stick alot of money at them to even get them comparable to the hp stock of a 350. So i was wondering should i just drop a 350 in my truck and say screw ford motors cause i dont have 5 grand to build somthing up.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I think the only real advantage to a SBC is they're plentiful, and the aftermarket has so much stuff out for them they can be built cheaply.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
A stock 350 is going to be putting out in the 150 to 250+ range
You can get a good 351 crate engine for around the same price as a 350..
Its just what you want to go with, any one who says a Chevy can put out more then a Ford or vise versa really is just blowing smoke..
I posted a link to a place that was offering a good 351 for very cheap..

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
429 Cobra Jet

11.5:1 ratio..yup thats a chitty V8 all right

Its also what im shopping for for the Warwagon so keep an eye out kids!

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Well i been hearing alot of bad rep on ford v8's im convinced the only good ford v8s are the 351w and the 302. But i also heard that you have to stick alot of money at them to even get them comparable to the hp stock of a 350. So i was wondering should i just drop a 350 in my truck and say screw ford motors cause i dont have 5 grand to build somthing up.

Yeah a 350 would work if you want to make 200 horseys AFTER longtubes, a Edelbrock high rise, 750 CFM carb and an RV cam...
why do you think every chevy for sale already has a cam and longtubes, or else is a 383 build? because 350's bring the suck

we built a 350 into a 383 and ran it in a 77/78 camaro pro stocker...yeah it made 950 hp BUT it cost Pat 12 grand to do it!

The point is, the only Ford V8s that get chit are the Midland blocks, which in stock form are just fine, you dont encounter the issues until the topic of forced induction comes in...but throw a 400 crank in a 351m, add some long tubes and an RV cam and it'l outrun a 383 stroker any day.

what other ford v8s have you heard bad things about?
You already eliminated the Windsor family (289,302,351w) so they cant be it

Surely not the FE family (360/390) which are the stoutest engines ever built IMO

The 429/460's ? Yeah if stump pulling torque and tranny killing top end power aint your thing i guess you would say they suck

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
So i was wondering should i just drop a 350 in my truck and say screw ford motors cause i dont have 5 grand to build somthing up.

Ain't nothing wrong with Ford motors.

BUT....you did mention a while ago that you mostly hang out with Chevy guys. And there's something to be said for having a truck your friends know how to fix.

If you decide you want something powered by a SBC, though...I'd just sell the Ford and buy a Bowtie.

(I know a lot of guys who are really good mechanics who are also Chevy guys. Have to say it's handy to be able to find about everything you need, enginewise, on the shelf at every cheap parts-house.)

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Just simple cam and exhaust will liven up them. Grind the head little and better yet . They all have good one and bad .

But chevy r dime a dozen so cheaper. I rebuilt last 302 for $1200 with all machine and parts . Was in 03

That GM 350 is short stroke and the power is creates is at HIGH RPM.

Give me a long stroke Ford that has high Torque and best power at low RPM anyday.

GM parts are cheap like most GM guys.... that's why they do so well with each other, yet they love the styling of a Ford. *shakez head*

Find a 69-72 351Cleveland and use that

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
You know why the 350 is so popular?

Cause the "bright" chevy guys buy them, slap a 500 shot on them, to take them out, once they go boom, well just swap in another 350...

Repeat as neccesary

429 Cobra Jet

11.5:1 ratio..yup thats a chitty V8 all right

Its also what im shopping for for the Warwagon so keep an eye out kids!

Guess what Cheeto has in his highboy smilieneenar

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts