Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

transmission

smilieFordlogo

hi gjackson here, my first post, i have owned a ford truck since 1979, and driven ford's since 1958

I currently have a
09 f150 king ranch
05 expedition eddie bauer
83 f150 stepside

my problem is that the dealer says that the 09 does not have a transmission filter, they just flush it and forget it. Is this the correct way to maintain a transmission?

thanks
gjackson

blacksnapon

Staff member
it does have an in-pan filter. Most shops are going with the flush machines. If I remember right, you don't have a dipstick so its a little difficult for a homeowner to refill it.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
We use a flush machine and don't change the filters unless the customer requests the filter to be changed.

it does have an in-pan filter. Most shops are going with the flush machines. If I remember right, you don't have a dipstick so its a little difficult for a homeowner to refill it.

Why would Ford not use a dipstick? That sounds like disaster waiting to happen when you get low on fluid.

I would drain the tranny oil, put a new in new filter in it, and read your owners manual for how much fluid it takes and drop the correct amount in.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Why would Ford not use a dipstick? That sounds like disaster waiting to happen when you get low on fluid.

I would drain the tranny oil, put a new in new filter in it, and read your owners manual for how much fluid it takes and drop the correct amount in.
The trans is Jaguar engineering. You fill it from the same hole that you drain it (think about that one for a while). Theres no other way to fill the fluid.

The trans is Jaguar engineering. You fill it from the same hole that you drain it (think about that one for a while). Theres no other way to fill the fluid.

Sounds like a dealer tranny fluid change, thats awful.

Ford Truck Articles