Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tech question...

BigRed1

Here comes trouble...
I've looked at the great pics of everyone's Ford rides - gets me motivated to get into the garage.

I have a '78 Bronco, and I saw one in the pics that had the truck mounted above the axles instead of below (shackle reversal??).

Can someone give me some pros and cons for doing this? I assume higher center of gravity is a con? How long does the Pittman arm need to be?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-rp-

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Your terminology is confusing me a bit... The shackle flip does not involve changing the mounting at the axle, you're only putting a longer arm on the frame mounted shackles so that you've got more lift between the leaf eyelets and the frame.

It's actually a pretty popular way of gaining a few inches of lift and if you use a good kit you probably won't see too many nasty side effects. You're obviously creating a torque arm at the shackle which can always lead to breakage under heavy applications, but generally speaking, if you use a good kit and do it right you won't have problems.

Also-- clarification: as far as I know, a shackle reversal is for the front axles on F250s and F350s, while a shackle flip is usually what you do on the REAR suspension of these trucks. I've always heard that the best shackle flip/reversal kits are made by Sky Manufacturing...

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
hes talking about (i beleive) the the leafs mounted abover the rear axle instead of below it, or both axles for that matter.

The only time ive ever see the leafs under the axle was for a lowering aspects, dont know if they do it stock, but it shouldnt be that hard to change to above the axle

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've never seen any of these trucks with stock under-the-axle mounted springs... But I've seen nowhere near all types of trucks, so who knows.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
ya me niether. I dont even think the mini trucks where like that. Im thinking someone did it to level it or somthing...

BigRed1

Here comes trouble...
Sorry for the unclear terminology - I did some research and what I'm asking has nothing to do with the shackles. :)

User A_G said exactly what I should have said to be clear (thanks). Basically, instead of the leaf springs running under the axle, the axles are removed and then attached UNDER the leaf springs. In other words, the truck and the suspension rests on top of the axles.

I think I saw a picture in the OffRoad section of a Black 78/79 Bronco with this done and the articulation was very impressive.

Mainly the reason I'm asking is because I've GOT to remove the current 4 inch "lift kit". I actually have the parts to put the Bronco back to its original height but I really want 4 inches of lift. I figured if I mounted the axles under the springs, then I wouldn't have to spend money buying a new lift kit.

I just thought there has to be some problems with doing this or it would be done much more often.

Let me say I REALLY appreciate the information you all are giving me - I am serious about getting the Bronco back on the road or trail and I only have my knowledge to do that. I will need help, so thank you all.

Later.
-rp-

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Whoa wait a minute... You mean to tell me your springs are mounted UNDER your axle?! It is much more common, ESPECIALLY on a full size 4wd truck like yours, for the springs to be mounted on top. Have a look at mine, stock except for a couple add-a-leaf's:

DSC01133Custom.jpg

DSC01148Custom.jpg

If you're springs are really mounted under the axles then BY ALL MEANS switch them to the top.

That is odd...if they are mounted SUA (spring under axle). The explorers are mounted that way. It is common to make them a SOA (spring over axle) to give them a lift. That is on the rear anyway.

It depends on which front end they have as to how they lift the front.

I never noticed a full size bronco mounted like the explorers. That is interesting. Got any pictures?

Side note: Chris...when your girlfriend gets over all this (and she will soon)...you have some serious cleaning and coating to do under your ride.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Side note: Chris...when your girlfriend gets over all this (and she will soon)...you have some serious cleaning and coating to do under your ride.
Yeah I'll eventually undercoat the whole thing with POR-15 or Eastwoods... But it'll be the job from hell so I keep putting it off :headbang:

That was my undercarriage RIGHT after I had gotten hit with chemicals in the snow, so it looks a lot worse in those pics than it does now. What you see in those pics, the rust is nice and fresh and bright. Now it's dulled out and is starting to look more like aged metal ;)

BigRed1

Here comes trouble...
Well.....feel free to reply "Russell is an idiot" in subsequent emails. :)

Ok, so my leaf springs are above my axles. I'm going to do my best to find the picture I mentioned, since the info at the bottom of the pic describe that setup.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. I haven't been under the Bronco in at least 4 years so maybe that can account for my feeble mind.

However, I really hope I can at least find the pic I mentioned because the articulation was so impressive.

Signed,
Embarrassed in Alabama. :hammer:

Sorry did not mean to hijack the thread. Chirs' truck just looked rough underneath for a CA truck. The few older ones (50s) I see come from there are really clean underneath.

Now back on track...if you can post pics (here in a gallery or on photobucket or somewhere) maybe it will clear up our thinking a little. Then maybe we can be of further help.

On the explorers when they do the SOA, they have to weld on new spring perches (and remove the old ones of course).

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hahahah hey no reason to be embarrassed buddy-- honest mistake. Rest assured you're still LIGHTYEARS ahead of about 90% of the US population in terms of auto mechanic work :D

BigRed1

Here comes trouble...
Ok, found it. It was a thread in the Offroad section.

l_e015e1321986c2d2ed4de9dbacd97211.jpg

The signature below the pic said "shackle flip" so I guess I got confused.

I still feel like an idioso - please be kind. :)

I'm going to brave another question - if you can view the pic in my post, can you tell me what has been modified to allow the articulation shown?

I also need to know how to post a past thread, please.

Thanks.
-rp-

Last edited by a moderator:
l_e015e1321986c2d2ed4de9dbacd97211.jpg

That is the picture. He missed the last ] after the close image tag.

I have no clue what was modified there. You probably need to go to the off-road area and ask those guys about that.

As far as linking to a past thread (is that what you mean?), just open the thread in a new window...copy the URL...then paste it in your new post.

I think Chris can probably explain it in more detail. I am better at showing somone how to do something than talking them through it.

havi

third member
A rear shackle flip may give the axle more sideways articulation. The front live axle is probably held in place by longer than stock radius arms that give more articulation. A better (read more expensive) suspension lift kit for the 78/79 Bronco's will have longer rad. arms and perhaps drop rad. arm brackets. Typically in the 4" range. You'll need longer shocks and a dropped pitman arm as well. More than 4" and everything else will need to be addressed. Perhaps this is old news? Also the picture shows the fenders were cut.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
That is called a Spring over conversion (SOC) (not to be confused with SOHC V6 lol)

You generally gain 5.5" from such a lift and yes need new shocks. Its a favorite method of lift for jeepers especially with the J10/20 series pickups

Do it

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts