Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

S.O.P. go out 4x4 "shift on the fly" 95 Explorer.

O.K., I know that this is an elementry question, but I will ask it anyway, just to be safe. I recently aquired a 95 Explorer with "shift on the fly" control for engaging and disengaging the 4 wheel drive. I did not get a manual with this vehicle. My 94 F-150 had the same "shift on the fly" option. It required you to disengage the four wheel drive by, (if my memory serves me correctly), go into neutral, move the selector switch to 2 wheel drive, put the vehicle in reverse, and back up about 10 feet. The 10 feet in reverse was required to make the front hubs unlock. Then place the vehicle in drive....disengagement accomplished.

Is this the same procedure on my 95 Explorer?

and...If it is and the procedure and it is not followed, what are the concequences? It has not even been put in 4x4 since I purchased it yet. I would just want to know if there are grave concequences. If I were to let others drive it and did not follow procedure. Do I need to tell everyone who drives it? or is a fail safe kind of a deal? Thank you.

blacksnapon

Staff member
O.K., I know that this is an elementry question, but I will ask it anyway, just to be safe. I recently aquired a 95 Explorer with "shift on the fly" control for engaging and disengaging the 4 wheel drive. I did not get a manual with this vehicle. My 94 F-150 had the same "shift on the fly" option. It required you to disengage the four wheel drive by, (if my memory serves me correctly), go into neutral, move the selector switch to 2 wheel drive, put the vehicle in reverse, and back up about 10 feet. The 10 feet in reverse was required to make the front hubs unlock. Then place the vehicle in drive....disengagement accomplished.

Is this the same procedure on my 95 Explorer?

and...If it is and the procedure and it is not followed, what are the concequences? It has not even been put in 4x4 since I purchased it yet. I would just want to know if there are grave concequences. If I were to let others drive it and did not follow procedure. Do I need to tell everyone who drives it? or is a fail safe kind of a deal? Thank you.
It will be the same procedure. If you dont, it will be partially in 4x4 until you reverse it. Thumping, vibration, noise, excessive fuel usage is all possible.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts