Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New to me Explorer

sicktight722

Greatest man alive
Well, I now have an explorer, Picked it up Saturday. Giving the f150 to my dad, as I needed something better on gas, more room, etc. Anyway, got a good deal it, less than $2000. The body and interior are in great shape. The engine runs fine on the highway put has a rough idle and some misses at lower speeds. Its staying at my parents house (~90 miles away) till I can get the idle fixed which might be a couple of weeks as I'm having my wisdom teeth cut out this Friday. I also have a small leak in the rear window on the driver side, so I have to figure out how to seal it up. Sunday i pulled the spark plug wire from the #6 cylinder and the metal tip of the spark plug came off with the boot, so I'm hoping that was at least part of the reason for the rough idle. Once I get it running right I'm going to give it a good cleaning as the rain, dust, and pollen has it looking grimy.
Pics in the link below:
http://www.getdropbox.com/gallery/700686/1/Explorer?h=d53a45

Specs:
'98 Explorer Sport
Pwr windows/Locks
4.0L SOHC engine (125000 miles)
Auto tranny
4wd
8.8 rear with 4.10 gears and L/S
Factory Running boards

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Congrats man...sounded like a pretty good deal. Can't really help ya on the problems though...but good score.

sicktight722

Greatest man alive
Thanks, yall. I'm really hoping that the spark plugs are the only thing causing the rough idle. After i save up some more money I want to try and lift it a little and throw some bigger tires on it, maybe repack the L/S in the rear.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Looks real nice brother! Good find!

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
See if you can find out if the rear cam work has been done on it. If not it's hitting the mileage where that tensioner is gonna start makin' some noises.

Looks like a nice deal though, mine is much the same actually. Always glad to have another Exploder owner around here!

sicktight722

Greatest man alive
See if you can find out if the rear cam work has been done on it. If not it's hitting the mileage where that tensioner is gonna start makin' some noises.

Looks like a nice deal though, mine is much the same actually. Always glad to have another Exploder owner around here!

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11437

The kit I'm getting deals with the front chain tensioner I believe, I just hope that I don't have to replace the guides or anything like that on the other chains, as I think I would need that $150 tool to get the timing and everything right...

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
I did learn something today...according to Dave's post (if I'm reading it right) you can replace the rear tensioner without removing the engine from the vehicle. Been too long since I've worked on one apparently lol.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts