Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

how tough are AOD transmissions?

tinman52

Tin bender
Are these things any good to put in an old truck? What kind of power can they take in stock form? Towing or hauling? Were they ever installed in trucks by ford or just a car tranny?

Probably the wrong place for this question, but...........:hammer:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I won't pretend to be an expert on transmissions, because I'm not. But this was equipped in (at least) F150's as the automatic transmission in Generation 8 and Generation 9 trucks, primarily behind the 302. I hear people put them down, but I don't understand the mechanics enough to know why. The benefit is that it is mechanically controlled and won't require a computer.

Ryan

havi

third member
It's worth the added insurance of building one up before installing one, IMO.

Here's a link where these guys specialize in them: http://www.clickclickracing.com/

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Build it... Stock form = garbage.. The one in my truck was burnt up at 159k miles when I bought it..

And they also came in fox body mustangs...

Of course, if you think about it, 160K on a transmission ain't bad either. If it were a Dodge, it'd be in the book of records.smilietease

*Most of those tranny's fail because they're run in the "O/D" position in town. I'm on my 2nd Gen 9 with the 4EOD that crossed the 200K mile threshhold. Never let it slip into overdrive unless I'm on the freeway going over 55 mph.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
My only experience with the AOD are the 2-3 replacements plus the 2-3 rebuilds that were required for my gen 8 Broncos. I have no love for them, but as Chris said, most guys who add the goodies seem to like them.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts