Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel Injection Cleaning

I've been thinking about it, And this does relate to my previous topic, but I wanted some individual light shone on this. With, lets say Pepboys, offering the service at different levels, I was thinking of getting Level 4, which is everything and a HJ. The problem is, I don't know exactly what it is they use, what it's supposed to do, if my engine can handle the process, and that's a big one, and lastly, if there is a problem, who gets to be the one to fix it?
Any help? Payday is tomorrow.

EDIT: I was thinking of taking this route due to the fact that the truck has been sitting and that it would help greatly in my efforts to clean things out. If I do this first, then detach and clean the Throttle Body, I thought I might get better results.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
From the looks of their website-- all 4 levels involve squirting solvents into different parts of the engine.

http://www.pepboys.com/service/services/fuel_system/

Level 1 = fuel injector cleaner in your gas tank, that's super easy to do yourself.

Level 2 = seafoam in the intake, through the brake booster line (also super easy to do).

Level 3 = solvent squirted into the throttle body-- maybe something like Seafoam Deep Creep, also very easy to do.

Level 4 = hooking up a nozzle to the schrader valve on your fuel rail and squirting in pressurized solvent? I've never done this so I'm not sure what they mean, but it sounds like you'd need a special tool-- though it still doesn't sound very hard to do.

I wouldn't pay them for any of these services. They're all very easy to do yourself.

The tool they use to hook to the manifold line isn't something you'd go out and spend money on, it's got one use only. They got a whole process to this, I've seen it when I worked as a lube mechanic at pepboys.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You don't have to "hook" to the manifold line... You just get a bottle of Seafoam, remove the vacuum line from the brake booster, run the engine and drop the end of the vac line into the Seafoam bottle. The vacuum from the tube will suck the Seafoam right out of the bottle and into the intake manifold. No tools required.

You don't have to "hook" to the manifold line... You just get a bottle of Seafoam, remove the vacuum line from the brake booster, run the engine and drop the end of the vac line into the Seafoam bottle. The vacuum from the tube will suck the Seafoam right out of the bottle and into the intake manifold. No tools required.
Running Seafoam right out of the bottle and into the intake manifold will not clean the injectors.
The only way to clean the injectors without taking them out of the engine is to "hook" to the manifold line. Putting Seafoam into the fuel tank may help keep them clean but I am not convinced on that one either.

I have two different setups to hook to the manifold rail. One uses a pressurized can and the other uses an air hose hooked to a container that you pore the cleaner into.

Both of these setups require you to remove the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator and plug it. This allows you to run the pressure up to about 40 psi without any cleaner going back to the fuel tank.
Also you need to disable the fuel pumps so no fuel enters the fuel rail and this makes sure you are using just the cleaner to run the engine.

You then run the engine on the cleaner while keeping the pressure between 32-38 psi so that no fuel will come into the fuel manifold while you are running the engine on the cleaner. The engine will start running rough at about 28 psi will die at about 22 psi.

After you are done you must change the engine oil and filter or there will be added ware on the engine.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts