Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Due to lack of.......................

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Problems with the 6.4, no one seems to post much. Any updates vince? I am still loving mine.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Actually that is not as much of a problem as you might think Tony. There will be a fire sale on them soon enough to make room for the 6.7 in 2010. 'badachang'

blacksnapon

Staff member
Problems with the 6.4, no one seems to post much. Any updates vince? I am still loving mine.
Other than fuel mileage, nothing much here. Monitor your oil level for any future problems. Injectors can start slobbering, sending fuel into your oil. That will create an environment where you'll start to get a lot of regens. If your oil level gets too high, have your tech look at "injector fuel trims". The injectors on a 6.4 are capable of adjusting fuel flow. The pids for fuel trims will point you in the right area.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

Is yours a manual or automatic trans?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Automatic. If they had a manual on the lot I would have bought it. Ford don't build to many non chassis-cab manuals. Even fewer in 4X4. I didn't want to wait 6 months to get one built.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
OK...Remembered you were at least thinking about the 6-speed, but couldn't remember what you ended up with.

If you had the handshaker, I was gonna ask if you found turbo lag an issue, as some claim it is.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Guess I spoke too soon. I have a leak from one of the coolers (could be a leaking hose running down the cooler) brought it in to Ford today. Getting the reflash, the AC vent (sounds like an older CD player moving to the next track) looked at, when I get in passing gear either the trans gets confused or possible drive line shutter. (only happened once, so don't know if it will repeat)

The cool thing is I am in a company truck, so I am not dependant on the truck for work and can let Ford have it for as long as they ned to fix it.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
OK...Remembered you were at least thinking about the 6-speed, but couldn't remember what you ended up with.

If you had the handshaker, I was gonna ask if you found turbo lag an issue, as some claim it is.

I think the turbo lag thing with manuals, (Power Strokers have been complaining about this since the last of the 7.3's) is an excuse to put a tuner on it. I have only driven a 03 MY 6.0 with a standard in it, and I never noticed it in compairison to the 03 MY 6.0 with an automatic I had at the same time.

I don't know if the 6.4 is really that much stouter than the 6.0, or if it is the jump from a 3.73 gear to 4.10 gear or a combination of the both, but my dually is night and day difference from my 05 F 250 towing my toy hauler. I will not tune my 6.4, have no need to.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Guess I spoke too soon. I have a leak from one of the coolers (could be a leaking hose running down the cooler) brought it in to Ford today. Getting the reflash, the AC vent (sounds like an older CD player moving to the next track) looked at, when I get in passing gear either the trans gets confused or possible drive line shutter. (only happened once, so don't know if it will repeat)

The cool thing is I am in a company truck, so I am not dependant on the truck for work and can let Ford have it for as long as they ned to fix it.

Update, truck is fixed, radiator was replaced. Could not get the AC to act up, figures, could not get the driveline shutter to repeat either. It may have been addresses in the recalibration as it might have got confused as when to shift.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Update, truck is fixed, radiator was replaced. Could not get the AC to act up, figures, could not get the driveline shutter to repeat either. It may have been addresses in the recalibration as it might have got confused as when to shift.
My opinion about the radiators is that on the 6.4. the tanks are on either side. The lower mounting points are on these tanks. They sit down over two pins that locate it in the center. These pins are on either frame rail. When you get into a high torque siuation, those pins will actually separate the tanks from the radiator body. The reflash deals with trans shifting schedules as well.

My buddy who has an 08 F450 is liking the 6.4... he removed some of the pesky emissions stuff and is now seeing 18-20 mpg figures over the 10-14 he got at first...

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I don't know if the 6.4 is really that much stouter than the 6.0, or if it is the jump from a 3.73 gear to 4.10 gear or a combination of the both, but my dually is night and day difference from my 05 F 250 towing my toy hauler. I will not tune my 6.4, have no need to.

Kustomizingkid, see above quote. Fuel mileage for me is not the end of the world. My 100k powertrain warranty is.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
My opinion about the radiators is that on the 6.4. the tanks are on either side. The lower mounting points are on these tanks. They sit down over two pins that locate it in the center. These pins are on either frame rail. When you get into a high torque siuation, those pins will actually separate the tanks from the radiator body. The reflash deals with trans shifting schedules as well.

Funny thing is Vince, was just driving normally around town. Go figure.

Ford Truck Articles