Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

An interesting read for prospectors...

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/04/consumer-reports-f-150-ecoboost-beats-v8-for-towing-not/

According to the real world tests of Consumer Reports, the EcoBoost v6 is just as fuel efficient as the regular n/a 5.0. Fuel economy results fell identical in towing and non loaded situations, but the EcoBoost provided a livelier passing regime as well as more torque.

Recap: if you're not towing or don't care for the extra pep in your step, save the $750 and get a nat-asp.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Post the optimal numbers and cover yourself with the tag 'results may vary'...no real surprise.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Personally, I would choose a natural aspirated V8 for theoretically cheaper and easier maintenance.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
the only thing i have to say bout that is..

if you can afford a 35-55k dollar truck.. for gosh sakes ya aughta be able to afford the maintenance and repairs...

Problem with that sentiment is...if the recent state of the economy has been enough proof...there were a bunch of folks leveraged to the hilt...and when things start going south, they have no more lines of credit for emergency and they can't liquidate. So sure...maybe their budget allows them to afford a $5-700 payment a month...but chances are, they don't have the coin if a turbo goes out.

Problem with that sentiment is...if the recent state of the economy has been enough proof...there were a bunch of folks leveraged to the hilt...and when things start going south, they have no more lines of credit for emergency and they can't liquidate. So sure...maybe their budget allows them to afford a $5-700 payment a month...but chances are, they don't have the coin if a turbo goes out.

But if you have the coin for a 500-700 dollar payment you have the money to keep trading in the truck when the warranty runs out.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
But if you have the coin for a 500-700 dollar payment you have the money to keep trading in the truck when the warranty runs out.

exactly........ but if you dont drive far then you should have it paid off not to long after your warranty is up, so then you'll have 5-700 dollars a month to set aside for repairs.. to save up just incase you need that major of a repair..

besides.. nobody should max out theyre income to pay for a brand new vehicle.. buy used for goodness sakes...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Missed this thread before because I thought it was about goldmining, hahaha.

Yeah I read that article already. The trucks are similar but not exactly the same. One of the biggest differences was that they had different gearing- that's a pretty glaring oversight.

That being said-- the 5.0 has great mileage and I've gone through a couple waves of buyers remorse just because I really miss the V8 rumble. But I always come back to LOVING my EcoBoost. It's unbelievably fun to drive and its still rated to pull 2k more than the beefiest 5.0. All in all, if I did it again, I wouldn't change a thing-- but I definitely respect the 5.0 a lot, Ford did good.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

How are you gonna trade in a truck, roll in whatever payments you have left into the new rig, plus the price of a new rig...if you can't get a loan? There may have been a time where you could be leveraged to the hilt with bad credit and still get a loan, but take a quick look at the housing market over the last few years.

exactly........ but if you dont drive far then you should have it paid off not to long after your warranty is up, so then you'll have 5-700 dollars a month to set aside for repairs.. to save up just incase you need that major of a repair..

besides.. nobody should max out theyre income to pay for a brand new vehicle.. buy used for goodness sakes...

You know that...and I know that...but not everybody enables that. Spend an hour shadowing a CPA, or someone like Ken. More often than not, the folks with the most toys, carry the most bad debt. They may be able to trade in for a while and roll old debt in with the new...but eventually the credit runs out.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts