Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

An EXCELLENT read >>> How VW got caught cheating emissions tests

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
The linky:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/foreign/2015/09/24/vw-caught/72715074/

And to think, the 'Vagen company actually had EPA and CARB believing that they were telling the truth and that there was a device, etc problem with the cars. The reality all along was, VW resorted to outright lying and deliberate fraud.

And another really good read, this one from Road and Track:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a26745/epa-vw-violation/

One highlight from the story....."The EPA says VW admitted that the device existed when they were threatened with not being allowed to sell 2016 model year diesels in the US."

With the lying/deception/dishonesty about emissions, what other things have they lied to the regulators and the public about........

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Given that it would seem that they are Government protected, they will do as they damn well please....seems like a common story these days.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Only in Germany, elsewhere, the law is more likely to be, the law.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Only in Germany, elsewhere, the law is more likely to be, the law.

I dunno...GM killed 100+ people here...nobody got punished and people still buy the product.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I dunno...GM killed 100+ people here...nobody got punished and people still buy the product.

Settled out of court?

*Should have bought an Explorer in the early 90's, run from the cops, get into a horrible accident and become paralyzed from the waist down, can't sprout wood anymore (thank God), sue Ford for knowingly making and selling to the public a vehicle that could be dangerous at high speed, jury buys into that and rewards the guy with over $1M. Lawyers made out like bandits. And we the public........we get the speed limiter in our vehicles unless a mod is implemented.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I should have been a Lawyer

:D

And yeah, 900 Million if I recall...plus other contingency.

I hope VW goes straight down the crapper over this and creates a shitstorm in their Government.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon

That's an interesting point. GM got fined a paltry $900mil for a defect that killed an estimated 124 people. Toyota paid $1.24 Billion, and it has yet to be established whether any defect actually existed in the automobiles. 34 people died, but there never was a definitive recall of any "defect," simply because none was found.

VW did from the factory what thousands of diesel owners do in the aftermarket (how do we spell "Tuners," gentlemen?). Be interesting to see how the EPA handles this- not to mention the German TuV.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Geez Ern...they have the Gov't in their back pocket...nothing will happen to GM.

As far as Yota is concerned, from all the reading I have done when my tinfoil has been on, I'm not convinced that there was a real issue.

VW...agreed on the tunes..but the mantra they have spewed to appeal to (Bill put it perfectly) the consumers is bullshit...same as BMW.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Back in the beginning, when the original 'Vagens were dirty as sin, nobody said much. Cheap cars for the masses. Then came a point in time when air quality became both a social problem and a health concern, and the 'Vagen company finally had to keep up with the times. This meant, GASP, revolutionary engineering undertakings which resulted in........the elimination of air cooled engines and inception of water cooled engines. Wow.

So the fact that VeeDub (and???) knowingly and willingly sold dirty vehicles in violation of emission laws really comes as no big surprise. But what should really irritate the piss out of the people of is how, if their vehicle doesn't pass an emissions test, they have to pay money to have it fixed (I know, I've been there), yet these rolling reminders of Hitler were deliberately made to pollute, and the owners got away with it for years. This, in the name of corporate greed.

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
VW hasn't been a cheap car for the masses in decades. They have managed to wrap themselves in "cool" the past few years. I can see some of that aura melting away as I type this.

There are 11 million vehicles affected by this worldwide- 2.8 million of them in Germany alone. What a mess.

wow such VW hate. they been some of the best cars i have driven and owned
truth gm did the same thing in the 90's. truth all cars preform well out side of there test bench emissions specs as found thrid party test groups like the one that caught VW. how is this by run numbers on tire drag, aerodynamics, load based engine tuning etc that are all tailored to min outputs during a standardized test you have fined tuned the system to work best there. run the car out side of those test conditions it may not run as tested. were lied to everyday, emission standards increase, population increases, you do the math if it run 50 times cleaner and you sell twice as many as the dirty model the problem just got a bandaid.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...how-on-road-tests-will-beat-emissions-cheats/

http://qz.com/511064/all-car-companies-cheat-on-emissions-tests-its-just-that-most-do-it-legally/

used to do a lot of Cumins diesel heavy duty warranty. lots of emission related codes with lots of software updates to fix them, reducing system tolerances while still blowing clean on the test dyno

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
^^^^ I saw that on the news last night. More dirty 'Vagens from the company that Hitler helped get up and running.

But wait Duncan, we should not "hate" them for being cheats and circumventing the law, we should embrace the automaker staff with open arms and the tongue. Surely they would have fessed up to this at a future date and voluntarily recalled all the cars and fixed them, right? :rofl2:

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
But wait... there's more. There might be irregularities in CO2 emissions testing of diesel and gas models- this is a new discolsure. This includes VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat. Everyone but Porsche, in other words.

Now here's an odd statistic- VW USA sales were up in October, in spite of the fact that none of the popular tdi models were sold (they're officially pulled from the market).

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34715268

Which begs the question- how badly will this really hurt the company?

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
German cars like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Volkswagen are NOTHING but Euro trash as far as I'm concerned, which is a distant relation to Jap Scrap.
smiliegitrdonesmilieFordlogo

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Now here's an odd statistic- VW USA sales were up in October, in spite of the fact that none of the popular tdi models were sold (they're officially pulled from the market).

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34715268

From the story, "The carmaker sold 30,387 cars in October, a rise of 0.24% compared with the same month last year. ".

That's data released in a statement by the 'Vagen company. They lied about their emissions to hundreds of thousands of customers, why should I believe anything that a liar says now??? Maybe it's just me but in my book, me catching a person lying is a big deal, I despise liars.

Which begs the question- how badly will this really hurt the company?

Remember the Audi incident including the damning video on 60 Minutes and the result? This result, despite the findings. Then remember the japs over at toyota, they lied through their teeth about sticking gas pedals, claiming repeatedly (ie, uniformly lying to all customers when needed) that "people today put too many floor mats in their cars". Really? Like, people have three sets of floor mats in their car and in a manner similar to a pile of post it's, they shuffle them around when they get bored looking at the one on top? Please. Nice try, bad lie. But.......people kept buying. Something must be special about that beige paint and how it attracts a certain crowd.......in the meanwhile, there was the deal about that one and only one computer that was kept in Japan, the one that could access ALL sorts of data and that, at the time, no device in the US could. Go figure.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles