Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

99 explorer probs

i have a 99 explorer 4.0 i moved from houston back to mn. and towed it behind my truck took the drive shaft out and it was fine. i started it in kansas and it started and ran fine. now back home in mn it wont start at all. i checked the inertia switch and that was fine. also the longer i had it the longer it took to try to start it. it would crank and crank for maybe 5-6 seconds then fire but now it just cranks. anyone have any ideas?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Have you checked fuel pressure at the rail?

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
And if the pressure is low or non-existent, try cycling the key on/off (but without starting) five or so times and then try to start it. Come back here and post results.

*Not to offend, but how much gas is in it now?

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
How long was this towing expedition over as well? Just a few days or weeks/months?

4.0 OHV or SOHC?

Welcome to the site and the Explorer forum, by the way!

ty for the welcome. i have not checked the pressure at the rail yet i will check tomorrow when i have time. the gas tank is half full. the trip was 1300 miles over 2 days. its the 4.0 ohv

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Try holding the gas pedal to the floor while starting, if it'll start but won't idle i'd be installing a new Idle Air Control valve. IF it still doesn't start check the fuel psi.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts