Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

97-99 engine swap

My brother acquired a 97 Mercury Mountaineer 4X4 with a 5.0. He also has a 99 F-150 with a V6. He wants to move the engine/trans and PCM out of the 97 and put them in the 99. Any ideas what other road blocks/incapatablilties he might encounter?

What I was looking for was the electrical compatibility. He will be moving the engine/trans/transfer case as a unit into the truck. The truck is a 2wd and he is planning on putting a straight axle under it. Some fab is expected. Mainly what issues can anyone forsee in getting it to run.

I have heard that the engine harness is plug and play as long as you also have the PCM. I was hoping that someone on the site knew that for sure or if that was false.

The 302,351, 300 I6, and the 460 for the Gen 8 & 9 trucks were never made to fit or work in the Gen 10 truck. nothing is the same and nothing going to work together.

If you had another 1998 to 2004 F150 and it had a 4.6 or a 5.4 and you wanted to swap one of them for your V6 then that something that could be done and still meat smog .

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts