Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

72 or 73?

I have a f250 highboy. The data plate on the drivers door says it was built in Sept 72 at the San Jose plant. The VIN says the truck is a 72, but it has a 73 body. The truck has been painted so I can't tell if the paint code matches. The interior code does match the red and black interior. All the other codes ie, axle, engine etc match. Did ford make a late 72 truck with the "new" dent side body? Or has a previous owner swapped bodies? Seems like a lot of worksmilieFordlogo .

hmm, no idea myself, but can I be the 1st to say:

:post pics:

lol, yeah I gotta get my scanner setup so I can post a pic of my old '74...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You're truck is a 73. As for the steering system, it catches a worse rap than it deserves. Street driven rigs, it's actually preferable and more beneficial IMO. Most parts don't last 30 years without wearing down, the p/a steering system is no different.

The system seems to work great. The only problem I have with mine is the cylinder leaks pretty bad. Is there a rebuild kit for the cylinder? I have read about many Box swaps. I really don't think I should attempt that. I'm pretty good with a wrench on older cars, but Welding and cutting? No Thanks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts