Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1997 F250 5.4

Gentleman. I'm new here so bare with me for a second.

I need a truck to get back and forth to school and to haul my 4 wheeler and snowmobiles. I found one, extended cab, 4x4, and in decent shape. It has 217k on it, but that doesn't bother me as long as it runs strong.

Anyways, I was looking the truck and couldn't tell what model it was. I thought maybe it was a XLT because it has a third door? Maybe someone could help me out on that.

Here is the Craigslist add:
http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/cto/3754356472.html

Please give me your honest opinion on what you think of it. I think it is alright for what I need it to do. And I'm not sure how good the 5.4 is.

I'm really not too familiar with Fords so any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jake.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
For what it is... It seems fair. The 5.4 is a reliable motor even if it's not the fastest thing you've ever driven. I would get a feel for the previous owner and try to see how they treated it (regular maintenance).

The body is deteriorating so it's not something you'd sink much money into to make it look cool or really nice. Having said that, it should do exactly what you want it to do.

If you take it for a test drive try to pay extra attention to the health of the transmission and how it's shifting more than anything.

Ryan

For what it is... It seems fair. The 5.4 is a reliable motor even if it's not the fastest thing you've ever driven. I would get a feel for the previous owner and try to see how they treated it (regular maintenance).

The body is deteriorating so it's not something you'd sink much money into to make it look cool or really nice. Having said that, it should do exactly what you want it to do.

If you take it for a test drive try to pay extra attention to the health of the transmission and how it's shifting more than anything.

Ryan

Oh yeah, I'll make sure I pay close attention to everything. Look it over real good and everything.

Also, what are the power options on those trucks? Like are they all power locks, seats, windows and everything?

I wonder if it is electronic or manual 4 wheel drive?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
It's hard to say without driving what I'd do.. But it's hard to find a 4x4 truck for that cheap.. Even with a ton of miles on it..

Just be smart.. Records of maintenance, test drive it and beat the shit out of it on that test drive... How does it react? Does 4x4 work?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

primetime

sawmill slave
For a 16 year old Michigan truck it`s actually in good shape. The box/cab body lines still line up. The third door was standard regardless of trim, but the fog lights, body colored grille, trim and chrome wheels say XLT.

Grab a car guy friend and take it for a test ride. Then offer the owner $1700.

For a 16 year old Michigan truck it`s actually in good shape. The box/cab body lines still line up. The third door was standard regardless of trim, but the fog lights, body colored grille, trim and chrome wheels say XLT.

Grab a car guy friend and take it for a test ride. Then offer the owner $1700.

That's what I was thinking too. Looks like a decent truck. I wonder if it has auto 4 wheel drive? Or, at least electronic?

I'm going to look at it tomorrow and take it for a test drive. Should be interesting.

primetime

sawmill slave
That would be 3k+ here

Starting price would be around a $1000 more around here. Maybe higher.

No auto four wheel drive on that one Melvin. You`ll have to shift it yourself via a lever or knob.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts