Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

need a little help

I just bought a 1977 f250 ranger that i want to rebuild and im 17 and have never done anything like this and have nobody to help me so i was wonding if someone could answer a few questions for me.

first, the last owner twisted the rear end and i have to buy a new one and the little plate that says what the gear ratio is is missing..how do i find out what the gear ratio is?

Second, the guy robbed the carburetor off of it, the engine is a 390 and i know it needs to be a four bbl..but thats all i know, i called shucks but the guy there was less informed than me, he told me ford doesnt make a 390 only a 351 and a 400..so can somebody help me out? Thank you

Sincerely,
brockman1977 smilieFordlogo

As far as I know, they didn't offer 360/390's in '77 and up pickups. Hang on Brockman, and more folks will be along to offer help.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
A 77 F250 with an (assuming) stock motor will be a 351/400m, very common swaps are 429/460. As for your gear ratio you can either pull the diff cover and count teeth or just check the front axle and or door tag.

If i remember right 390's should have the letters FE stamped on the heads but i may be wrong about that

If I remember right if its a FE motor it will have 352 on the front of the block near the timing cover on the driver side.If you can post some pics of the motor.

The guy was right about about no 390's in 77

could be 351m/400/460

post the vin# and firing order on the intake manifold

are the spark plugs all pointing the same direction per head ? / / / /

or like this / / \ \

Last edited:
Terminology is everything.

Sadly, not everyone is a person who is very detailed in what they say.

People miss important details all the time ;(

Brockman, I'll trade you my parts truck for Sarah Palin.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Oh yeah could be a 460 I thought that said F150 not 250

One has to presume that numerous engines can be swapped into a truck that is 33 years old.

That 'one reason' is why Ford Tech sites are so popular..

Let's not assume.. Let's get the facts before the ideas come forth.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts