Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Lowering?????

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Ok everyone here knows how cheap I am. Done my research here and don't want to spend $$$$ lowering my truck.I don't have a block on the rear that I can remove to drop a inch, but I would like a good 4 inch drop in the rear and 5 in the front. I would rather do the work myself instead of spending a butt load of $$$$ to do it.

Get some concrete to dump the last of his load of the day into the box.
Great for winter driving as well

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
get some really fat guy to sit on your truck, that should lower it a few...

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
For the rear you could take a leaf out of each spring pack. As for the front, factory replacement coils for a lighter GVWR truck should work, and should be fairly inexpensive.

the problem with changing springs is the camber changes extemely when you drop the front of these trucks. what you need for the front is a set of drop beams
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=I-beams&dds=1
This will give you a 3" drop with no camber change. then if you want that extra 2 inches you can cut 1 r 2 of coils off your factory springs.. DO NOT HEAT YOUR SPRINGS!!!!!!! Then on the back you need a flip kit which will move the leaf springs from the top to the bottom of the axle you are going to have to research this to see if you can find one. If you can't, if you are handy with a welder and a grinder you can cut your spring plates off the axle and simply weld them to the bottom moving the springs that way..... just a thought

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
the problem with changing springs is the camber changes extemely when you drop the front of these trucks. what you need for the front is a set of drop beams
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=I-beams&dds=1
This will give you a 3" drop with no camber change. then if you want that extra 2 inches you can cut 1 r 2 of coils off your factory springs.. DO NOT HEAT YOUR SPRINGS!!!!!!! Then on the back you need a flip kit which will move the leaf springs from the top to the bottom of the axle you are going to have to research this to see if you can find one. If you can't, if you are handy with a welder and a grinder you can cut your spring plates off the axle and simply weld them to the bottom moving the springs that way..... just a thought

I guess you can't read,so go back and reread the orignal post. Did I say anything about giving my $$$$$ to a overpriced mail order company.

Ouch !....................

why do you even post a question if you are just going to insult the person who takes the time to give you the right answer. I assumed that you were wanting advice but obviously you just want to be a jerk. You obviously want something for nothing. if you are too cheap to do a project the right way then in my opinion you should leave it the hell alone and I would much rather not be able to read than be an a@#

I guess you can't read,so go back and reread the orignal post. Did I say anything about giving my $$$$$ to a overpriced mail order company.

why do you even post a question if you are just going to insult the person who takes the time to give you the right answer. I assumed that you were wanting advice but obviously you just want to be a jerk. You obviously want something for nothing. if you are too cheap to do a project the right way then in my opinion you should leave it the hell alone and I would much rather not be able to read than be an a@#

There is a guy on one of the other sites a few years back that dropped the front of his truck 3-4 inches using the stock beams, I think he cut the coils to get the drop, then took his truck to a shop that does big rig alignment and had the beams bent to correct the camber. Will only work if you have the connections to get the beams bent, and I also don't think he would have any suspension travel left after the drop. Ride has to be seriously compromised as well, and caster angles would be off since the radius arm angles are changed. But... if you are dead set on lowering it and not spending the coin to do it right, you can go ahead and give it a shot, and after you are done, you can check out the kits offered by the overpriced mail order parts shop (who have the cheapest prices on DJM kit that I could find anywhere) to get the correct parts to drop the truck the right way and still have it ride like stock...

Oh, and DJM also makes a rear flip kit that will drop the rear about 5 inches. It is also available from the same overpriced mail order shop for about $50, and it will take you about an hour to install (if you take your time...).

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok

Look you threw a bunch of money at your truck and someone do the work and they didn't even section the body right. You say that you was telling me the proper way to lower my truck which is to spend and to throw money at it. All the Kustom car guys and Old School Hot Rodders would laugh at you tried to pay someone to do. If you think supporting a business by spending all your money there is the right way you are a bigger azz than I am. I can do more with parts from a pull a part yard than you can trying to fight your way out of a wet brown paper bag. So who is smarter with money? Not you,You have no imagination or the ability to do anything on your own. So Go Away Boy You bother me. BTW your Donkey Kong wheeled truck ain't that Kool .

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
HEY!

It's rare for me to get too upset about tech discussions, but I am now.

EVERYBODY needs to start being nice, polite, and respectful to everybody else, or this thread gets shut down.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Cliff, do you use it for any hauling? If I wanted to lower it on the cheap, I'd put the rear on top of the springs. That would lower it about 4 inches. It would cut down the hauling capacity though, because the weight of the truck would be resting on the u bolts instead of the axle. As far as the front goes, a cheap way would be to cut the coils and then have the I beams bent to fix the alignment. I'm not sure how much you could lower it that way. I went about 3 inches when I did it on my 65 F100.

These aren't the best ways, but they are cheap and work.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Cliff, do you use it for any hauling? If I wanted to lower it on the cheap, I'd put the rear on top of the springs. That would lower it about 4 inches. It would cut down the hauling capacity though, because the weight of the truck would be resting on the u bolts instead of the axle. As far as the front goes, a cheap way would be to cut the coils and then have the I beams bent to fix the alignment. I'm not sure how much you could lower it that way. I went about 3 inches when I did it on my 65 F100.

These aren't the best ways, but they are cheap and work.

No the 74 I have will not be used for hauling I have a couple of idea's in mind and it won't be using any truck suspension parts at all.I am getting a 75 F100 Ford Explorer next month as my DD.So my 74 will not be stock when I'm finished with it. SuperSnake will start in Jan as a project.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts