Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Hub & Bearing Write up

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Ok so my rotors were warped on the truck, not very bad, but I wanted to get my self something for my bday and this was it. Got the kit off ebay and it looks to be good. Got 2 rotors and pads(didnt install, just did loaded calipers)

Anyway
Take the Hub Twist Cap off
On my style there was a phillips screw holdin the peice that connects the axle shaft to the hub, and the peice pops out with a giant spring. Never seen this before, never done a F350 hub before so I guess everthing is bigger.
Take the big clip out of the hub, then usin 2 of the cap screws pull the center peice out.
Now you can take the bearings out, using the special took losen the outer lock ring and take it out
Take the lock spacer out
Take the inner lock ring out and hold the rotor so it doesnt slide off and fall on you or the floor.
IMG_0753.jpg

Slide hub asembly off the spindle

Gettin the rotor and hub seperated
Hammer the studs out of the hub and rotor asemble. I used a punch and hammer.
Then there is 2 spots you hammer a chisel in and seperate the hub from the rotor

If your goin to do bearings now is the time, pop the seal out, clean out the hub, and put in new bearings and races. I did this, and when I took the rotor off, 1/2 the grease seal was still on the spindle.

Install
I grease around where the rotor and hub meet, then put the rotor on top, and grease up the studs and hammer them back in, I have a tool that installs on the other side of the stud and you use the lug nut and impact to pull the studs through, works awesome.

The rest is reverse of removal.

I spray paint the rotors front and back, inside and on top, I dont like to see rust, so this will help keep it nicer longer(plus looks better through my wheel)
Also wirebrushed the calipers and bridges and sprayed em up too.

PICS
IMG_0745.jpg

Old
IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

I had to cut backing plate off as it was so rotted out.
IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sweet...serious question though...on trucks of this size, do drilled and slotted rotors really make a difference?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Who knows, brakes feel good, im doin for looks. The bilsteins install that way, its wierd.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I put em so you could read the words, on my friends F150 there like that too, the stud was on the res side, and the eye was on the rod side. So i put like his. Are the 5100 the silver ones?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I put em so you could read the words, on my friends F150 there like that too, the stud was on the res side, and the eye was on the rod side. So i put like his. Are the 5100 the silver ones?
Yeah the 5100s are the silver ones and on mine the stud was on the rod side-- eyelet on the cylinder side.

DSC01942copy.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Silvers are the 5100s and they're more expensive. Variable valving so it yields a soft ride with small compressions (on road) and stiffens for more stability and control with longer compression strokes (off road). They're meant to be used more for off road.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thank ya sir

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea, I donno, i noticed that it stops alot smoother then it used to, pedal seems more grabby now. NICE

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea I warped mine, towin my girl's stump grinder, its a huge 1, and go figure the trailer brakes dont work on it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts