Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0L Oil Filters - What To Look For (You Want OEM Spec'd)

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Not all oil filters are created equal.

Racor made oil filters are designed to fit properly into the Racor made oil filter housing. 'Will-fit" filters are sized and made slightly different in order to not infringe on the Racor patent. They may not fit into the cap or the housing as well as the Racor made. Racor sells to Int'l, Motorcraft and Fram (as the most popular. They may either state "made in Germany" or "Made in the USA. Racor moved their production from Germany to the US in 2006.

The pictures below show what to look for:

Image on the left is the OEM/Racor filter (uses felt gasket material).

Image on the right is "will-fit" filter and may allow oil to drain out of the filter assembly upon motor shut-down.. thus creating a "low oil pressure" on re-start.

Many autoparts stores and Walmart sell the Motorcraft or Fram filters for around $16.99 (Fram) to $19.99 (Motorcraft). The worse filters are the NAPA/WIX "will-fit" oil filters... so do not use!!!

Attachments

• Racor Oil Filter Assembly 002.jpg
  • Racor Oil Filter Assembly 003.jpg

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Check out the link below... good info on why not to use a WIX oil filter in the 6.0L PSD motor.

When the link loads, scroll down to read the info and see the actual picture comparisons. The info is from Racor-Hannifan, the OEM maker of the oil filter housing and filter for the 6.0L PSD motor.

http://www.trademotion.com/pages/index.cfm?action=viewPage&siteid=214083&pageid=10148

This is why using a Racor made (Motorcraft, Framm and Int'l) oil filter is key to 100% oil filtering and motor protection!!!!

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Thanks for the info. This should help alot of people new to the 6.0 diesel. All I have used in my truck is the Fram.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Here is a link to the August 2008 lawsuit Parker-Hannifin (Racor) filed against Champion Products (makers of will fit oil filters). The brands mentioned are WIX, Purolater and Baldwin.

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2008_U_S__Dist__LEXIS_61108.pdf

Racor won their suit against Champion and either they can pay a royalty, cease making the filters or buy directly from Racor.

I am of the opinion that the various educational videos that are out there and in this thread showing the difference in oil filter technology is proof that using a non-OEM made filter is not good... no matter what the "will-fit" oil filter company states. In some cases, some companies or brands may have converted and started buying directly from Racor, so one has to be on the look-out!!!

For me... I buy Motorcraft (made by Racor of course) for $19.99/ea at Walmart (when needed) and have never worried about it!!!!!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts