Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Only Use OEM Spec'd Fuel Filters In The 6.0L PSD

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
One should only use fuel filters made by Racor. They are sold under the Racor brand, Motorcraft and International. Racor is the OEM supplier to Ford for the 6.0L and 6.4L fuel filters. Filters not made by Racor (usually found at NAPA/WIX and other places) will not filter as required.

How does one tell???

racor made filters have a white "Aqua-Bloc" media on the large HFCM filter (will-fit filters do not due to patent infringment). This extra media is what helps with water seperation and sediment seperation.

Here are some pics to help you know what you need. Buying fuel filters from your local Navistar/Int'l dealer is the least expensive. I generally pay around $32.00/kit for them (where as Ford dealer wants $70.00/kit). They are the same filter... just cheaper!!!

Use of non-OEM spec'd filters may damage your injectors (low pressure), cause water to get by... which is bad for your injectors... or not fit as they should into the HFCM housing that Racor designed and built for Ford!!!

Attachments

• Int'l Fuel Filter - Box-Part Number and Image.jpg
  • Racor Fuel Filter Kit.jpg
  • Racor Fuel Filter With Aqua-Bloc.jpg
Motorcraft fuel filters

I have a 2006 F350 6.0 powerstroke and can not get the right fuel filters . To get the right fuel filters I have to buy the complete HFCM. Because the Motorcraft 4604 filter kit will not filter the fuel but ford dealer said it is the replacement filters but the fuel gos around it instead of through it here is a pic to show what I am talking about . The filter that has the O ring on the end of it is the filter from a new HFCM and the 4604 is a bout a quarter inch shorter

Attachments

• grand 039.jpg

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I have a 2006 F350 6.0 powerstroke and can not get the right fuel filters . To get the right fuel filters I have to buy the complete HFCM. Because the Motorcraft 4604 filter kit will not filter the fuel but ford dealer said it is the replacement filters but the fuel gos around it instead of through it here is a pic to show what I am talking about . The filter that has the O ring on the end of it is the filter from a new HFCM and the 4604 is a bout a quarter inch shorter

The fuel filter on the right does NOT look like an OEM/Racor/Motorcraft filter.

Racor made filters do NOT have an o-ring on them... the o-ring is on the cap ONLY.

Here is a link to a video that Racor and Ford published out to their dealers.

After watching, no one would (with good conscience) use an aftermarket oil or fuel filter (fuel filter explanation is at the end of the video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFXd2KRB4Qo&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
O ring on fuel filter

I have been to 3 diffrent ford dealers that had a new HFCM in stock had them pull filter out of the HFCM and all the had O rings on filter all 3 HFCMs were motorcarft part No. 6C3Z-9G282-AA go to a ford dealer and check for your self

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts