Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

why

ok well thanks for the info well i am getting the cps tommro and i am going to put it in ya on xmas eve in 25 degree wheather in denver so i will update when i get it done it has been down for like a week and a half or two and i miss my truck, thanks guys

well ichecked the sensor towards the front of the motor i think it is called the icp and it had oil in it wht does that mean

side note too, just incase you try the dealer, your going to have to pay for it either way cause the recall is out dated i believe

well when i talked to them they said ford pays for all of it. we will see i am taking it tommoro and i will talk to them

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
well ichecked the sensor towards the front of the motor i think it is called the icp and it had oil in it wht does that mean

Put your learning cap on
You ready.

ICP stands for injector control pressure
Internation engines (alot of them) use a heui system
Heui stands for :Hydraulic/Electronic Unit Injector

That the sensor detects the pressure of oil coming up to the injector manifold (located under the valve cover) so it can adjust the amount of fuel to be injected.

Basically what happens hear is the pressurized oil actually makes the injector work.But the ICP sensor meters the fuel being injected.

This is kinda of a common problem on INternational engines.

Heres what it sounds like to me. IM going to explain it first then tell you what i think it is.

On the injector manifold under the valve cover. It runs the length of the head and is bolted on by several 10mm bolts (about 4 inchs long) on the under side of that its got galleys (oil passages) with little nipple or protruding parts of the manifold that go into the head assemble. They have a oring and and plastic teflon space thing.

Whats happening is you probably have a destroyed o-ring. or a tear in the oring.

You symptoms will include.
Hard starting when cold (engine cold, not been ran for awhile)
Loss of power
Dies in use
Will not restart while engine is hot or maybe hard to start after engine is warm
engine will not restart until it cools off in some cases

What you need to do is go down to a dealer (perferbly international if you can find one, or a ford dealer) have them run your codes. Should come up as low icp pressure or the sorts.

If that ends up being the case.

You can have them fix it or i can walk you through the process.. its really easy actually, if you theres enough room. your gonna get messy and oil. but its not hard.

You can diagnose it yourself. Get yourself a pressure gauge that will read up to about 12000 psi and above. A branded line rated for that. and a connector at the bottom (a 7/8 wrench fit on it) There should be heui pump located on the driver side of the engine where a highpressure pump would normally be. towards the front of engine on the side of th eblock. about midway up . With a good sized branded line come off it. Take this line off at the pump and install gauge. have someone crank the engine for a few seconds (dont worry it wont start) you should have between 8000+ psi.

(the one i did had around 5500 and it was considered failing)

Then you will need to dead head the pump, long story short. Your grounding out the power that would normally go to the pump. which the icp reads pressure from (the pumps mechanical, so your actually grounding out the icp) in doing this it kinda acts like a icp delete. causing resistance going back to the ecm to make it think the icp is reading correctly. If it starts after you dead head it, then the sensor itself is at fault if not. Pull the covers and check for a broken, torn, or nonexitent oring.

IM gong to go back and double check all my info and get you some parts numbers and what not. Ill post back to this later.

Anthony

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Okay edit

The highpressue manifold is actually a high pressure oil rail.

Im having a hard time find a diagram for you to show you what im talking about.

also on parts numbers to.

I explained out it works wrong. Icp keeps the oil pressure in check and the injectors meter the fuel amount.

im kinda tired so ill pop back in later. And check back with ya.
i guess on PSD your looking for oil pressures at the pump to be 400-600 at idle and 3600ish at wide open throttle.

My numbers are based off the international meduim duty truck engines (same essentially as a PSD 7.3, but some things are different)

Another question, IM not sure if ford did put a fuel filter on the block of the engine. but did you change that? does anybody know if ford also put one by the tanks.

Anthony
edit: Check your oil levels as well, make sure there in the checkered area on dipstick. And also if you havent changed your oil in a while (way overdue probably not the case tho) it could cause the problem.

Anthony

edit2: wahts going on is, if this is your problem, when the truck gets warm the metal expands and the faulty, torn or missing oring no longer seals to the head causing oil pressure to drop and not engage the injector, and not injecting fuel to causing ignition. but when the engine cools the metal contacts and it reseals again allowing it to sustain oil pressure (somewhat) enough to engage the injector causing ignition.

Anthony

Last edited:
long shot

it might help or be a long shot my dad has a 2000 and had the same problem replaced everything and finaly took to ford. for some reason idk the inside of the fuel tank way deteriateing and clogging everything up. i never heard of this b$ but ia possibility. it was well taken care of and we even put cetane booster in every now and then but idk why it happend but thought i would let ya know maybe it will help

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts