Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

why is my truck shifting harder? after ECU swap.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
So your earlier post about the models all that blahblahblah confused me, are you wanting the RT or just the base model? I think it'd definitely be in your best interest to go for the RT. Even if you have to learn how to tune (I know I do), it's much easier (once you learn - pick up a good tuning book) to be able to change your parameters and see how the engine reacts.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
ECO - I think by "plug and play" he was referring more to how easy it is to hook up. My moates/eeceditor solution requires a bit more "assembly" as do some of the other solutions as compared to tweecer. I could be wrong but that was my take anyway.

Regardless what method he or anyone else chooses, you are correct in that one has to learn and understand EFI systems in general before being able to make good adjustments to their EEC. Unfortunately, many people become frustrated with this aspect of tuning because it takes the most time.

Skand - use the computer code off the white sticker on your driver's side door jamb. SHould say M1L1 or something along those lines. That's the code I was referring to. It will also be on the cover of the EEC, but if you've taken your EEC in and out a few times that sticker can be scraped off easily enough.
Thanks Fred. Yeah if you read my posts above I've already been in contact with the guys at Tweecer and they confirmed my computer is supported YelloThumbUp

What kind of reading/research would you recommend if I were to prepare myself to understand the tuning involved with a Tweecer?

That's a good book to tune with, but I'll see if I can find a book on my shelves in the basement that's a better starting point - i.e. not Ford specific but covers all the math and theory... which will give you the foundation you need to tune anything, including Ford.

I know Corky Bell's turbocharged/supercharged book covers all the math in the earlier chapters before he gets into the forced induction stuff... I'll dig mine out and see if it's useful to you before I make a recommendation.

Assuming you want to learn the theory of course... you maybe comfortable with the "turn this dial to get more fuel" type of tuning.

Charles O. Probst wrote at least a couple books about Ford fuel injection. One is for 80-87 and another is for 87-93 I think - even though it s dated to 93 it still applies to your truck. That book would be a good place to start. It is titled how to understand, service and modify so I think it fits the bill. I have never gotten into tuning, but I know enough to know that it requires a good understanding of the entire system in and out - it is anything but plug and play.

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Probst's book is normally available in Barnes & Noble too. Just not 87-93 volume I was after the day I went looking for it. Wasn't Probst a former engineer with FoMoCo? His name shows up in a lot of other folk's literature.

Now that I look, it was actually 88-93. In that book it says:

Charles O. Probst recieved his BSE (ME-Automotive) for the University of Michigan. His career specialty was technical communication, primarily in automotive subjects. He worked as an instructional-system designer, writer, filmmaker, and was responsible for numerous video and film productions, manuals, job guides, and other systems for improving human performance.

That's a good recommendation Eco... especially considering the truck EEC's are behind (in years) of the car EEC's in strategy.

Probst is also a good writer (or his ghost writer is good, either way).

Ford Truck Articles