Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

why is my truck shifting harder? after ECU swap.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Lol, niceeeeeeeeee. Bahamas.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
jepp... only thing that was changed between the 2 vids. where the oil and the ECU

andym

Real men are fanatics
That makes ZERO sense. The speedometer is mechanical. It's controlled by a cable running from the transfer case to the back of the speedometer. If you remove the gauge cluster and drive around, you can see the cable turning.

I have seen jumpy mechanical speedometers, and they're usually caused by a loose or possibly worn-out cable. I would check the connection at the transfer case and at the speedometer. If you don't see anything, check out how much a replacement cable would cost.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
but it hasnt anything to do with the speedo .. see how it shifts to 2nd and how it squeels the tires?

andym

Real men are fanatics
Okay.. But why is his truck faster?!?

Could be a different timing curve with the new PCM. I've heard that some configurations were more aggressive than others. I specifically remember frederic saying that he swapped a PCM into his truck from a '93 E-series van with a 351 and he had a noticeable power gain.

andym

Real men are fanatics
Your a mass air guy, so you're screwed unless you want to convert to speed density.

I found the thread over there. Do I dare post a link to it?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
haha i was on the way to the gas station.. yep thats the thing.. this is from a 90 + E series ambulance ;)

PM me the link also

Could be a different timing curve with the new PCM. I've heard that some configurations were more aggressive than others. I specifically remember frederic saying that he swapped a PCM into his truck from a '93 E-series van with a 351 and he had a noticeable power gain.

I did say that. The van I got it out of I believe was a 94... but it wasn't an ordinary E350... it was a shuttle bus E350 - think elongated dually chassis cab with a van clip instead of a pickup cab. Here lies the difference...

The heavy duty/severe service chassis cabs (F-truck or E-van) typically have much more aggressive shift points (irrelevent to me - manual trans here) as well as more aggressive timing. This includes flatbeds, tow trucks, ambulances, large cube vans, essentially large rude things that haul a ton of weight on a daily basis.

To be fair, my crewcab has reached it's limit in mileage I think, and is beyond what most would consider "tired". So maybe on my truck the jump in power would be more noticable than something with an engine that actually has some compression left :D

That's one of the reasons why when we were discussing this "over there" I included several disclaimers of this kind. But I noticed it for sure.

I added too that by putting my dizzy "off" the 10 deg stock position as well. Since my "old girl" never sees any kind of serious rpms, this doesn't hurt my top end at all since 1) I never hit it and 2) there isn't any to speak of at this point.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts