Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What's wrong with my carb?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Is it custom or is it out of another truck. My in cab must be full of crap then cause I can only get about 15 in there when the gauge reads empty.

Dennis' picture shows where the vacuum advance port is on -most- of the
2100s and 2150's I've messed with but not all of them. Mine on my '75 for
example is next to the driver's side idle mixture screw.

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/carbs.jpg
(threw 'em in the weeds just for the picture, got 'em from the scrap yard)

Too bad Mr. Greenjeans;) doesn't have a spare carburetor to fiddle with. :)
That's the way to really get a chance to understand them, is to be able to
take 'em apart and figure out how they work.

OP, quit apologizing for being stupid. ;) We've all been there and done that,
none of us were born with carburetor know-how. ;)

Does the OP have a 2100 or a 2150 tho?
I plain 'ol don't know when they switched from one to the other. :/
(could have a replacement anyway?)

Since I've never broken a 2100/2150 carb by tightening the fuel filter too
tight... does that mean I'm -not- the dumbest guy on FTF? 8D

I use the old brown Permatex on the threads as if it were "pipe dope".
No leaks. ;)

Alvin in AZ (2nd dumbest guy on FTF?)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Is it custom or is it out of another truck. My in cab must be full of crap then cause I can only get about 15 in there when the gauge reads empty.

Naw...my in cab is still the stock tank. Your first mistake is trusting your gauge...any number of things could cause it to read improperly, so it doesn't necessarily mean there is crap in it. I routinely fill Red up with 16, 17, 18 gallons of gas. So your problem could be your sending unit, your actual gauge, gunk, lots of stuff.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
The gauge aint the one that came in that truck itd from a 77 150 with a in cab tank. I got another tank maybe I oughta swap em and see what happens. I meant to say is the tank for the rear a custom tank or is it from another truck.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I meant to say is the tank for the rear a custom tank or is it from another truck.

Well it's from Dennis Carpenter, so I'm assuming it's just a stock replacement for a truck with a rear mount tank.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Alvin,

Thanks! You're right. I just don't usually have that many follow up questions, so I didn't want people to get sick of it! I know. I'm like a little girl. smiliecrybaby

I do have another carb in the garage, but it is a two brl Holley (why someone would want that, I don't know) It was given to me and I thought about putting that one on and trying it. I could "fiddle" with that one, but I've heard there are some differnces with Holleys and Eddy's compared to stock. No power valve?

Thanks agian,

Mr. Greenjeans'hah'

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Update

Hey guys--just an update.

My truck is running great today!

After a couple of weekends remodeling a bathroom at the orders of the wife, I finally had time today to pull the truck out and play with it today. I installed a new fuel filter and it's running like a top. I put quite a few miles on today just running around, and it never missed a beat.

This appears to be the problem.

Now, we'll see how long it takes this one to get clogged. I think I'll drop the tank real soon and see what I have in there--and get it cleaned out.

I don't know if I said this here before or not, but in a past life my truck was a blast truck for the PO's sandblasting business--after the restoration, not before. So, even though the tank looks nice and new on the outside, i don't doubt there could be sand inside--that stuff can find its way into anything. That just might be what has been giving me fits lately. I never had trouble until I ran it almost dry once--that's when this all began.

Anyway, thanks for all the input and help on this thread--and for the tips on the filters, which appear to have taken care of the problem for now.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Good to hear Steve...never knew it was a blaster truck. I wouldn't have any doubt that there's sand/glass in your tank. Did you end up just having the inline filter...or did you have one that screwed into the carb too?

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Yea, I have the one that screws into the carb too. I replaced it with a new filter, rather than eliminating it. Extra one of those and extra in-lines in the glove box for now!

Ford Truck Articles