Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What's wrong with my carb?

I'm not sure about the threads on the 2150 but I got a barbed fitting from autozone for my Holley carb. I tried the hardware store but they told me the threads were weird and I needed to go to an auto place. I have the clear filter on mine too.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Oh, so you can ditch this filter and replace it with a clear in-line? Where can I find the nipple to install the in-line in this place then?

Again, sorry--I'm a total carb dummy.

Thanks for your help.

No worries man...Here's what it looks like:

nipplefitting.gif

As far as where to get them...I always get mine from O'Reilly's, usually in or around the electric fuel pump section. When you do go to replace it, make sure to bring the old screw in filter with you to make sure you get the right length and thread count. And when you go to put it on, don't forget to use pipe tape.

And be sure you don't tighten it down to much. I cracked a carb wide open once when threading a filter in. And I thought it was still too loose.

X2 I did that one time too!

The only good that came out of it was I ended up rebuilding one with a different housing, so I came out with a rebuilt one and the truck runs a lot better

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
And be sure you don't tighten it down to much. I cracked a carb wide open once when threading a filter in. And I thought it was still too loose.

X2 I did that one time too!

Holy hell guys...all I do is get it finger tight and then only a turn to a 1.5 and call it good. Although, I did crack/shatter a t-stat housing once. I was using a 1/2 ratchet to tighten it down and I couldn't 'feel' how tight it got. So now, I go no bigger than a 3/8 ratchet unless it's a big job.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I broke a tap off in the cast intake manifold we were gonna use on the truck. We bought a edelbrock for it so it was ok but its still in there and we need to take it to the machine shop to get it out.

I was using an open end wrench (like the one someone posted in another thread about finding in the tail light). It's all I had to fit it at the time. It didn't feel like it was tightening so I kept turning! The carb didn't run right anyway, then the used carb I bought to rebuild was messed up too and the truck still wouldn't idle or run right. So that's when I bit the bullet and bought the brand new Holley! I'm glad I did too.

Now I have two 2150's and one 2100 that are just taking up room on my shelf. Only one of them is even remotely good.

2150carb2.jpg

Same here, it didn't feel very tight, and I didn't know it had cracked. That evening I went to fire it up, and dad was under the hood. About the time it fired, dad starts hooting and hollering for me to shut it off. It was spraying gas out the crack all over the engine bay. I was young then and had never done anything to a carb, so I had no clue how tight it had to be

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Alright, pictures make it easy! Thanks guys!

Mil1ion

I've been meaning to ask you if you have a vacuum schematic I could get from you too. I know that you need some numbers from me though, and again, with my truck in storage most of the time right now I haven't looked for any numbers yet.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Steve, a month really isn't long enough to allow gas to go bad, and nothing should really get dried out.

I'm gonna have to agree....I adjusted the points in the Monte Carlo the other day, and it fired right up. The gas has been in it for atleast 2 or 3 years, probably longer.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm gonna have to agree....I adjusted the points in the Monte Carlo the other day, and it fired right up. The gas has been in it for atleast 2 or 3 years, probably longer.

That may be true...but I'm willing to bet there's a considerable amount of solidified crap in the bottom of the tank. Might wanna get that cleaned out before it starts to break up and cause a waaaaaaaay bigger problem.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
That may be true...but I'm willing to bet there's a considerable amount of solidified crap in the bottom of the tank. Might wanna get that cleaned out before it starts to break up and cause a waaaaaaaay bigger problem.

I was going to before I even started it, but it's dad's car, and he said not to mess with it...so against my better judgment, I didn't. 'smiliedoh'

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Just pull off the fuel line that goes into the fuel pump from the tank and get a couple of gas cans, a funnel, and a few white cotton rags that are really fine fiber or coffee filters and drain the gas into the cans and youll see on the rag or coffee filter whats in your gas. Then once a tank is empty just dump it back in. Do this as many times as ya want. Be sure to replace the filter or rag after every cycle.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Only problem with that Dan is...the solidified crap in the bottom of the tank probably won't come out. The Waggy I have would run all day, but would only take about 18 gallons of gas in a 25 gallon tank. Problem was, I had about 25 pounds of crap in the bottom. So I took it to get it cleaned ($85). But then new problems arose, there were pin prick holes in the bottom that were blocked off by the gunk. So you gotta be aware of that too.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah probly not. Does red have an in cab tank like mine?

Sure does. Back before the restore, I even acquired all the parts for a rear tank install, since I already had the dumby gas door on the bed. But I went for a straight line and welded a patch into place...so now I've got everything for a second gas tank just sitting in the parts shed.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
In cab is 19.something.

The second gas tank was from DC...to tell you the truth, I haven't even looked at it in 5 or so years. I wanna say it was in the 30 gallon range...28...32? Who knows.

Ford Truck Articles