Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What Have You Done to Your FORD Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Got some goodies for the Bronco while I was out junk yardin today. Also picked up the new hoses for Red.

I'm thinking of changing the oil, oil filter, ATF, Trans fluid, Plugs, fuel filter, and wires. In a couple of weeks.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Also had a guy come by today and buy some spare doors and fenders I had layin around from the 76 and we got to talkin about the truck and he says we oughta try mixin a gallon or two of race fuel in it. Im gonna go down to the gas station that sells it tomorrow and see how much they want.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Also had a guy come by today and buy some spare doors and fenders I had layin around from the 76 and we got to talkin about the truck and he says we oughta try mixin a gallon or two of race fuel in it. Im gonna go down to the gas station that sells it tomorrow and see how much they want.

Save yourself the money and buy some toluene from a paint store.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
What is it?

Toluene can be used as an octane booster...it is 114 Oct...and is much cheaper than race gas. Although...I don't know why the guy would suggest mixing race gas...if it's not pinging, going to a higher octane will actually hurt your performance if the engine doesn't require it....higher anti-knock index , slower it burns...so you need a high CR to realize the benefits.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Filled the rear end up the other day and got fuel, drove it around a little bit. still tryin to get it to quit pingin gonna change out the vacuum advance to the one that was on the points distributor and change the fuel filters. If that dont work gonna try some lead addative that seemed to work for the 76.

Uh no this is the 410 in the 72. Ive been runnin premium in it since we rebuilt it. I swapped the vacuum advances out and it looks like the one from the points distrbutor has a longer throw cause when I tried to put the one that came off the truck back in the old distributor the rod was shorter. It only pings on this one hill in one direction for some reason and it slows the truck down from 60 to 45-50 cause I cant give it anymore gas. Well see how it runs up there now I ran it around town and it seemed good.
Read here.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
What is the static CR of your engine Dan?

And....say you had 10 gal of 93 premium mixed with 2 gal of toluene...

(10 x 93) + (2 x 114) / 12....which would give you 96.5 Oct.

The only thing you have to watch for with the toluene is when you start getting into 50% concentrations or better, it can break down rubber lines.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Im pretty sure around 10:1 stock is 10.5:1 and the machine shop got some lower compression pistons for it so itll run here. We dont have 93 octane we only have 91.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I put my CB antenna on after I posted in here before.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Probably due to your elevation...91 oct at that elevation would be like 93 closer to sea level when you factor in air density...so the above calculation would be 94.8...~95 Oct.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
So how much would I need for 20 gallons?

It's a variable calculation...what octane do you want to shoot for?

Eg....(16 gal x 91) + (4 gal x 114) / 20 would give you 95.6 oct.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Try a neighborhood paint supply store for a 5 gal container of it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Got both cylinder lines on Red today...got most the air out.

Also put the rear seat bracket and latch in the Bronco.

I also filled both rigs with gas, never been filled simultaneously since I owned both of them.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not today, but yesterday, I tore down the Bronco. int/exh mani's, heads, WP, everything. Just gotta take the front cover off today and take the timing chain out and ready to build back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts