Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What have you done to your 351M/400

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Watch out Captain stabby, Ben will Smite you.

Nah no worries...he's got one...and even admits he can't kill it...which adds to the reputation of these 335's.

I have a guy around here he's actually the store manager of oreilly auto parts here in town, he always seemed fairly knowledgeable, and he was into older fords also. One day i was in there getting something and it came up that my new motor is about 9.4:1 according to tmeyerinc.com. He says no way its not possible to make over 9:1 with stock heads. I just said "oh really that sucks i guess i wasted my money on those pistons" but he still thinks he's right I saw him today. I just let him think he's right.

Your guy is wrong, its pure geometry man, i measured my heads ccs, pistons ccs and compared them to the full strokes volume and ended up with a 10:1 relation, anyways i think on the contrary, people are having more compression than what they think they have. My heads measured 70cc and my pistons 13.75, do the geometry......

And watch it captain p4, you dont wanna mess with us...

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I know what I want to go with now.
I want big power but don't want to go 460, I can stroke out a 351W to 393 But a slightly beefed 351M can make just as much power or even a better :D
So I want want some thing right smack in the middle a 400 :D going to go with all TMI pistons and heads, gonna be great! now I just need to find a good job...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I think you will be real happy with that...I will be getting rid of headers, intake and carb from my 351 if you are interested.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sounds good Tex...welcome to the fun. Like I've said before, my build puts out 350hp/460tq...and all it took was $3000, and that was with all new parts. You could get the same carb I have from a certified dealer for $120 (I paid $355)...you can get the same intake used for $75, and I paid $229 new. You can go with a different set of headers and save about $200. So that right there could save you almost $600, and nearly put out the same numbers.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I think you will be real happy with that...I will be getting rid of headers, intake and carb from my 351 if you are interested.

Headers...what kinda headers? I'm always interested in back up carbs and intakes...what are they? You can Pm me if you want.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Sounds good Tex...welcome to the fun. Like I've said before, my build puts out 350hp/460tq...and all it took was $3000, and that was with all new parts. You could get the same carb I have from a certified dealer for $120 (I paid $355)...you can get the same intake used for $75, and I paid $229 new. You can go with a different set of headers and save about $200. So that right there could save you almost $600, and nearly put out the same numbers.

Yeah i'm going to be doing allot of Ebaying and Craig listing, I still dead headed on the Retro tek Injection system I know its allot up front but in having the reliability of EFI and allot cleaner then any other brand of EFI, I think this is going to be a hell of a long build......

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Headers...what kinda headers? I'm always interested in back up carbs and intakes...what are they? You can Pm me if you want.

Rusty headers...hehehe..pm sent.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

Thanks DN but right now I don't have the money to get any thing else, i'm all ready getting some stuff from Dennis, going to put in a Tilt column :D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah i'm going to be doing allot of Ebaying and Craig listing, I still dead headed on the Retro tek Injection system I know its allot up front but in having the reliability of EFI and allot cleaner then any other brand of EFI, I think this is going to be a hell of a long build......

Yeah...that system was pretty sweet. I'm torn with it though...do I want the reliability of an EFI system, or do I want the symplicity of a carb.

Rusty headers...hehehe..pm sent.

and a PM returned.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I'm not sure why I like the 400's, but I do.
Maybe it's because I know them.
Maybe it's because they show up at my door like stray cats.
Maybe it's because they're different.
Maybe it's because they're the only stock 4" stroke motor.
Maybe it's because no one else likes them.
Maybe it's because I drink beer.

havi

third member
Maybe it's because I know them.
Maybe it's because they show up at my door like stray cats.
Maybe it's because they're different.
Maybe it's because no one else likes them.
Maybe it's because I drink beer.
All Positives in my book :)

Ive never heard that before, is it the only ford motor with a 4" stroke or did chevy make one also? What is the stroke on a 460?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Quick! I need a way to add about 300hp to my 400 for next weekend. I have a budget of $65. :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts