Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Well...I did it again....lol

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Excellent choice. One of my neighbors has 270,000 on an exploder. Don't remember what year. I do know he bought it used about 10 years ago.

Thanks Doug...270k wow i cant imagine that,even with mechanical experience,Here the avererage vehicle doesnt live that long...Mostly due to the rust belt....

Nice Bob...smilieFordlogo ....even nicer a scumbag vehicle got ditched for it :D

Thanks Duncan..LOL Ive waited ALL DAY To hear those words my friend...lmao..smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Anytime...my therapist told me consistency is important....:D

BuzzGun79

Took a little break from all the painstaking cleaning /engine building process... Added some flare to the Explorer in the form of a GTS Blackout Kit....

cam_bearings_honing_expl_shades_025.JPG

cam_bearings_honing_expl_shades_020.JPG

cam_bearings_honing_expl_shades_024.JPG

cam_bearings_honing_expl_shades_017.JPG

cam_bearings_honing_expl_shades_018.JPG

cam_bearings_honing_expl_shades_026.JPG

Always Check with local / State Authorities before purchasing/installing tinted light covers! smilieFordlogo

BuzzGun79

Pretty nice looking Explorer Bob.
Is the oil filter behind the front bumper on these ? I could swear I saw one there yesterday.

Thank You Mark! So far so Good!! The oil filter is located passenger side rear below the exhaust manifold on the 4.0.

oil_filter_location_explorer_001.JPG

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That white/black color combo looks sharp.

primetime

sawmill slave
^^ Yeah it does. With the exception of a sticker, I have refrained from modding mamas. It has however, been very reliable, although I am goung to yank the engine and throw new timing chains at it.

BuzzGun79

That white/black color combo looks sharp.

Thank You Duncan! I feel it looks good and in good taste also

^^ Yeah it does. With the exception of a sticker, I have refrained from modding mamas. It has however, been very reliable, although I am goung to yank the engine and throw new timing chains at it.

Thank You Justin!! As far as the sticker..It is a 79 Dent..lol extra L&L from my recent motor mt purchase..lol smilieFordlogo

BuzzGun79

Just out of curiosity..is the 4.0 prone to wear out the timing chains..This vehicle has 128k on it and i am going through a learning curve on this perticular engine..upon my inspection of the vehicle it does look like the PO Took rather good care in preventative maintanance as far as that goes.I do know that this is an interferance engine.It does run well with no noises or leaks of any kind at the present...Thank you!

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Just out of curiosity..is the 4.0 prone to wear out the timing chains..This vehicle has 128k on it and i am going through a learning curve on this perticular engine..upon my inspection of the vehicle it does look like the PO Took rather good care in preventative maintanance as far as that goes.I do know that this is an interferance engine.It does run well with no noises or leaks of any kind at the present...Thank you!

I put 198,000 miles on an Aerostar 4.0 without an issue with the timing chain.

primetime

sawmill slave
I don`t know if they are prone to wearing them out, but ours has an odd rattle every now and then. Sometimes it will start making noise while it idles. Sometimes it rattles when you start it, the rest of the time it`s quiet. It`s at 176,000 miles and we plan on keeping it for a few more years, so I`d rather be safe than sorry.

BuzzGun79

I put 198,000 miles on an Aerostar 4.0 without an issue with the timing chain.

Thanks Doug...It does put my mind more at ease!! :)

I don`t know if they are prone to wearing them out, but ours has an odd rattle every now and then. Sometimes it will start making noise while it idles. Sometimes it rattles when you start it, the rest of the time it`s quiet. It`s at 176,000 miles and we plan on keeping it for a few more years, so I`d rather be safe than sorry.

Sounds like the tensioners Justin..Yes you want to catch it before the failure.Thank You!! :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts