Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Wax review

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I would never say a word. However, it is fun to tease you a little. :D

At least the truck is red..tho not painted with foo foo cans.

Foo foo cans, a 60's term for spray paint in a can...that's 1960's, not 1860's.

There was no enamel (lacquer, whatever) paint before 1924, did'ja know that?

Cars weren't painted before 1924, they were varnished.

:rofl: And ppl complain about waxing...how'ja like to have to revarnish every year?

Last edited:
Yes I knew that.

Mine would probably rust. I have never waxed my explore or the 56. Don't think it would help the 56 too much though. The paint is pretty bad.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Sure, the next time I'm in the Show Me state, I'll show you. Nothing to it, and at 6-5, who needs a step ladder?
:cooldude:
Ah, you know it's got a cap on the bed and larger tires, right? :) Even at 6-5, I'd like to see you get the center on top! I'm short and fat, surely I ain't gonna even with a ladder. Guess I can use my 4 year old like an air hockey puck and shoot him across. :)

On mine I use my ladder and a pad mounted on an extension pole. I also have a cheater buffer... love it.
So, what is the difference between clay bar and say, Rouge? I have several grades of rouge that I have used on the semis to polish aluminum.
Thirdly, why not Polishing compound (White)?
For the glass, again, for ME, nothing beats the razor treatment!

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
On mine I use my ladder and a pad mounted on an extension pole. I also have a cheater buffer... love it.
So, what is the difference between clay bar and say, Rouge? I have several grades of rouge that I have used on the semis to polish aluminum.
Thirdly, why not Polishing compound (White)?
For the glass, again, for ME, nothing beats the razor treatment!
"Go ahead...Go ahead...pin it...skin that smoke wagon (rouge) and see what happens." - Wyatt Earp-Tombstone

Jewelers rouge used to remove scratches from glass - I would NOT use any type of rouge on clear coat paint.

For 10 bucks, buy a clay bar kit and see what happens.

Hey Ma, look what I done..the paint is smooooth as a babies bottom.

Waxing the roof center of a truck with oversized tires/camper shell = find a friendly oak tree and hang from a limb.

The autoglass used today is a thin as a rail, and scratches easily. I wouldn't use a double sided razor blade on any of this glass. One slip = time for the jewelers rouge.

Ach du lieber! = keep white polishing compound far away from clear coat paint! The clear coat scratches easily!! White polishing compound contains pumice, like Lava Soap.

Would you use Lava Soap on your truck? I think not. That would be a Titan-ic mistake.

Hey Brian, white polishing compound used correctly brings out the luster of dead paint from foo foo cans.

Ask Col. Flashman how his truck looks after a day spent using it on his rustoleum painted Mercury M100.

In a word: BEA-utiful.

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Would you use Lava Soap on your truck? I think not.
But in my case, you would be mistaken. :redface: Not my brightest move, but it worked OK.

Clear-coat is a little hazy where I buffed off some paint marks, but it looks better than it did before, and unless I've just washed the thing, you really can't see the spots at all.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
But in my case, you would be mistaken. :redface: Not my brightest move, but it worked OK.

Clear-coat is a little hazy where I buffed off some paint marks, but it looks better than it did before, and unless I've just washed the thing, you really can't see the spots at all.

Meguiars SCRATCHX removes fine scratches. Use your fingers...everytime you use any product like this, it removes a bit of the clearcoat, so you don't want to rub too hard.

BIGRED911

Charter Member
i recomend The Wax Shop's SUPER GLAZE keeps Big Red and our black race rig lookin like wet nail polish.
Turtle wax ice works best if actualy in direct sunlight...im not to big a fan of the wax itself but the spray detailer works good..

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
S100 makes a pretty good product. It is the spray on detail wax. I have used it for years on my Harleys. I decided to try it on my wifes Hyundai about a month ago, and it was great. Very easy to use, and quick too. It is a tad on the expensive side, however I still might do the F250 with it. http://www.s100.com/s100_dw.htm

Jewelers rouge used to remove scratches from glass - I would NOT use any type of rouge on clear coat paint.

The autoglass used today is a thin as a rail, and scratches easily. I wouldn't use a double sided razor blade on any of this glass. One slip = time for the jewelers rouge.

Ach du lieber! = keep white polishing compound far away from clear coat paint! The clear coat scratches easily!! White polishing compound contains pumice, like Lava Soap.

Would you use Lava Soap on your truck? I think not. That would be a Titan-ic mistake.
Red Rouge is emulsified Iron Oxide. White, green, yellow and black are all aluminum oxide. These are the same type of compounds used in the so-called cleaner waxes and I have used them on my own clear-coat vehicles, although admittedly red is all Ive gone with on them. Ive removed graffiti, sap stains, berry stains, etc all with it and to no detriment so far as I can see.
as for my razor, it's a 4" single-sided long handle Unger Brute. I have cleaned car and window glass with it extensively, but ALWAYS using either windex or a detergent. Key is to keep it clean, keep it sharp (change if it gets a nick) and keep it wet. scratches will only occur if its mishandled, but the same could be said of the clay bar... like throwing it at your car, hehe...
Many of us here do not have the luxury of parking indoors. Our cars and trucks are exposed to tree sap, bird droppings, rain, dust from yardwork and road grime. To NOT wash it before polishing would be chromatic suicide! ESPECIALLY the bird droppings and road grime! You think Pumice is bad? bird droppings contain harsher grit than that. Also many of us live on or near gravel roads and driveways. here in the nations midsection that means Limestone dust. another abrasive that MUST be washed off before polishing. and should the dust be on the car when a fog rolls in or it rains, well, you now need almost a mild acid to remove it. Vinegar works wonders.

....Hey Brian, white polishing compound used correctly brings out the luster of dead paint from foo foo cans......

I am not real concerned about the rattlecan paint. It is stopping rust (temporarily) and it looks better than polka dots of paint and primer (many colors and kinds of primer).

The entire truck has been taken apart. Each panel has the edge sanded to bare metal and rattle canned with primer and paint.

The main areas (away from the edges of everything) of the truck are original paint still.

It really looks bad up close. The plan was to start body work after the 20th, but my job is almost non-existent now. My work income went down by 60% over the spring. The truck is on hold indefinitely. I will have a tough enough time paying the medical bills now. :redface:

Any way to make the original paint look a little better?

yes...I am updating a resume and will be looking, but where I live.....:headbang:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Any way to make the original paint look a little better?
Clay bar first.

DuPont White Polishing Compound. Mix it with a litle water, apply it with a sponge. When it dries, leave the residue, and go over it again.

When dry...wipe it off.

Important:

Use cotton towels or old T-shirts only.

Turn the towel(s) over frequently to a clean spot.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
I use the carwash/detal shop on Battlefield in Springfield :D

Gunner

10 bucks at AutoZone gets you a Meguiars clay bar kit and lubricant, or whiz over to Kragen, (or O'Reilly's, Aw Shucks, Checker, whatever..the same ownership) and get a Mother's kit for the same amount. If you run out of lubricant, the qwik detail works fine. Use Windex or Invisible Glass for the glass lubricant......

Umm...no. The Mother's kit is $17.99 at Oreilly auto parts. Have not been in autozone yet.

Clay bar first.

DuPont White Polishing Compound. Mix it with a litle water, apply it with a sponge. When it dries, leave the residue, and go over it again.

When dry...wipe it off.

Important:

Use cotton towels or old T-shirts only.

Turn the towel(s) over frequently to a clean spot.

No clue where to get the dupont stuff.

I picked up the gear lube I needed, but that is it until payday. It needs to be changed so I can keep driving it and not do any more damage.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Umm...no. The Mother's kit is $17.99 at Oreilly auto parts. Have not been in autozone yet.
It's 10 bucks here at the local autozone for the Meguiars kit, and most everyone carries the duPont White Polishing Compound.

The local autozone does not carry Meguiars here. They have the mothers kit for $17.49. At least that is what they told my mom and the phone. I can't use telephones.

I hate this dumb town. LOL

EDIT: I went personally to both places. Neither one carries the Meguiars clay bars. They both carry the same Meguiars products. They both carry Mother's for about the same price. Neither one carries the dupont white polishing compound.

I have company coming in from North Carolina this coming weekend. I went ahead and used my credit card and bought the kit. :redface: All I could find in white polishing compound was turtle wax brand, so I grabbed it anyway. It was cheap. Oh well...

I would have checked NAPA, but they are closed on the weekends. They close early in the evening too. I think at 5 PM weekdays. They do not cater to the working class, just mechanics around here. :confused:

Last edited:
So, what is the difference between clay bar and say, Rouge?......

.....Jewelers rouge used to remove scratches from glass - I would NOT use any type of rouge on clear coat paint.......

What is this rouge you speak of? My glass is beyond fixing in some places (51 years old), but getting some of the smaller scratches out would certainly help.

All the glass is supposed to be original except the rear window. It is the only one not bubbled though. :rofl:

Ford Truck Articles