Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

V2..The Dents We Find

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
This truck appears to have Race Track mouldings.

Race Track mouldings were not available on Customs (or Rangers).

Standard equipment on 1977/79 Ranger XLT's and 1978/79 Lariats.

Really now? My Ranger had Race Track mouldings... :suspicious:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So tu-tone trucks didn't get race track mouldings?

Same question...my 77 is an original tu-tone base on the data plate and had racetrack moldings. Would the point the colors met have just been bare?

Img0049.jpg

So tu-tone trucks didn't get race track mouldings?

Really now? My Ranger had Race Track mouldings... :suspicious:

Same question...my 77 is an original tu-tone base on the data plate and had racetrack moldings. Would the point the colors met have just been bare?

I'm gonna try to stick up for Bill here.
Two tone paint could be ordered as an option on any truck from the factory, which would make race trac molding manditory with that paint option.:)

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Two tone paint could be ordered as an option on any truck from the factory, which would make race trac molding manditory with that paint option.:)

There we go! That's what I thought after posting. smilieFordlogo

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Well from what Dennis posted, it said it was STANDARD on Ranger Lariat and simply AVAILABLE on other trim levels and there was the potential for additions or deletions. Which to me, says there was the potential to have no moldings on a tu-tone truck. The moldings were kinda an option based off the option of tu-toning.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Two tone paint could be ordered as an option on any truck from the factory, which would make race track molding mandatory with that paint option.:)
Sorry, that's incorrect. Look at 1973/76's and 1977/79's w/o Race Track mouldings.. The upper side mouldings divide the tu-tone paint scheme.

The tu-tone paint scheme with Race Track mouldings is unique. Not the same tu-tone paint scheme used on 1973/79 F100/350's and 1978/79 Bronco's w/o Race Tracks.

UTfball68 said:
Well from what Dennis posted, it said it [Race Track] was STANDARD on Ranger Lariats and simply available on other trim levels...
Uh huh...Where was Dennis working in 1977/79? Was he a partsman at a FoMoCo dealership? No, he was not...not then...or ever.

I was, so I know that Race Track mouldings were standard equipment on 1977/79 F100/350 Ranger XLT's, 1978/79 F100/350 Lariats and 1978/79 Bronco Ranger XLT's.

There were not factory installed on anything else...PERIOD!

When introduced, these mouldings were very popular, customers came in, bought complete sets (the MSRP was $300.00 for all of it), then installed them on their trucks.

The ongoing problem with internet hobbyists is: 95% of them have no parts catalogs, no sales brochures nor salesman's facts books, so...they have to rely on others for info.

And some/most/all of that info is wrong, wrong, wrong!!!

There is more literature available today to the general public...then there was back then. If y'all had the following book, many of your questions would be answered:

The Standard Catalog of Light Duty Ford Trucks 1905~2002 / by John Gunnell / krause.com / ISBN 0-87349-411-3

Last edited:
Sorry, that's incorrect. Look at 1973/76's and 1977/79's w/o Race Track mouldings.. The upper side mouldings divide the tu-tone paint scheme.

The tu-tone paint scheme with Race Track mouldings is unique, not the same as used on trucks w/o Race Tracks.

Ben: Where was Dennis workimg in 1977/79? Was he a partsman at a FoMoCo dealership? No, he was not...not then...or ever.

I was, so I know that Race Track mouldings were standard equipment on 1977/79 F100/350 Ranger XLT's, 1978/79 F100/350 Lariats and 1978/79 Bronco Ranger XLT's.

There were not factory installed on anything else...PERIOD!

When introduced, these mouldings were very popular, customers came in, bought complete sets (the MSRP was $300.00 for all of it), then installed them on their trucks.

Well I tried. Speaking of race trac trim, I need two small pieces.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Well I tried. Speaking of race track trim, I need two small pieces.
Some can still be found NOS at FoMoCo Dealers/obsolete parts vendors...so what two pieces do you need?

Thats what I want. NOS
On the right bed side,rear. the verticle piece that connects the RT with the dent moulding. And the piece the surrounds the side marker light.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Thats what I want. NOS

On the right bed side, rear. The verticle piece that connects the lower RT moulding to the upper RT moulding.

And the piece the surrounds the side marker light.
No such thing...it's part of the RT only bed mouldings.
D7TZ-9929396-AA .. Right Vertical Race Track Connector Moulding / Obsolete

Fits: 1977/79 F100/350 & 1978/79 Bronco.
-----------------------------------------
The upper quarter panel (bed) mouldings w/the vinyl insert used with Race Track mouldings are unique, as they have a curved end that the vertical mouldings connect to.

While the curved end may look like it's a separate piece, I can assure y'all...it's not. It was only furnished with the unique RT upper mouldings.

Only the upper fender/door/cab corner mouldings w/black vinyl inserts are the same as RT mouldings.

D7TZ-9929038-EA .. Right Quarter Panel Race Track Upper Moulding-Use w/8' bed (which I assume you have) / Obsolete

I'll type a subsequent post w/the part numbers and sources (if any).

Last edited:
So bill what your saying about the race track trim is that mine for ex is 77 150 custom with a tu tone paint job, and the racetrack trim was dealer installed not factory. is this correct??

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
D7TZ-9929396-AA .. Right Vertical Quarter Panel Race Track Moulding ~ Connects upper RT Moulding to lower RT Moulding / Obsolete

PARTS INTERNATIONAL in Farmers Branch TX has 1 = 888-727-0418.

BELL-MCCALL FORD CO. in Hamilton MT has 1 = 406-363-2011.

KINSEL L/M in Beaumont TX has 1 = 800-816-2894.

COLLECTORS AUTO SUPPLY in Orville WA has 1 = 800-414-4462.

High Buck! BOB ALLEN FORD in Overland Park KS has 1 = 800-676-0675. This snake wants mega-bucks for obsolete parts!

WESLEY OBSOLETE PARTS in Liberty KY has 24 (!) = 606-787-5293.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
D7TZ-9929038-EA .. Right (Passenger Side) Upper Quarter Panel Race Track Moulding-Use w/8' bed / Obsolete

NOS PARTS SOURCE in Lenexa KS has 1 = 913-220-5746.

COLLECTORS AUTO SUPPLY has 1.

KOEHN MOTORS in Wellington KS has 1 = 620-326-5915.

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has 1 = 800-543-4959.

No other FoMoCo Dealer or obsolete parts vendor has either moulding.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
So bill what your saying about the race track trim is that mine for ex is 77 150 custom with a tu tone paint job, and the racetrack trim was dealer installed not factory. is this correct??

Dang, I was hoping the two parts came seperate.( upper RT and marker light surround that turns down to the verticle piece) I know they can be seperated because I've done it. My upper RT is mint except for the piece around the light is blemished. I put it on to replace the dented one , But I want an NOS.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Either installed by a FoMoCo Dealer, or bought at the parts counter and installed by someone else.

There were...at one time some 1973/76's (that obviously didn't come with RT's) and 1977/79 Custom/Rangers that had these mouldings installed by either dealers or whatever.

As stated, these mouldings were very popular when introduced, so some found their way onto trucks that would not have had them factory installed.

The entire RT moulding set for an 8' bed: upper/lower fender/door/cab corner/quarter panel retailed at the parts counter for $300.00 + tax in 1977/79.

I sold sooo many of these puppies, I can still remember this $$$ jazz. Having a photographic memory is a major asset....at least in this case.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Dang, I was hoping the two parts came seperate.( upper RT and marker light surround that turns down to the verticle piece)

I know they can be seperated because I've done it. My upper RT is mint except for the piece around the light is blemished. I put it on to replace the dented one. But I want an NOS.
I listed NOS and the sources that have them in post #393.
I know the curved ends can be separated, but Ford did not sell them separate. Ditto for the pieces that surround the marker lights on other 1973/79's: Part of the upper mouldings only.

Take a gander in the '73/79 Ford Light Truck Parts Catalog / Text-Exterior Moulding Section / See if you can find part numbers for these so-called mouldings. Lotsa luck!

But, if you had a 1970/72 Ranger/Ranger XLT...then you could only buy the short mouldings that surround the rear marker lamps...by themselves.

They were not furnished w/the upper side mouldings, which btw...are unique to these trucks. 1970/72: Rangers have black painted inserts, while Ranger XLT's have wood grained inserts.

These mouldings are about 3 5/8" wide. 1970/72 Customs/Sport Customs have 1 1/2" width upper side mouldings.

Last edited:
I have physically removed the vertical trim off chrome molding that were damaged and unusable as they can be removed without damage.
I may have both sides in the garage.

Also My photo was from thre 78 or 79 Sales Brochure.

He wasn't stating anything about me being parts counter guy for 30 years.....he was merely referring to the Ford sales brochure that I posted

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts