Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trucks been sitting

Also bith heater core hoses are leaking at the connection points on heater core where the hose goes over the metal tubes. Ill have to get heater hose in future

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

And to make matters even worse, my rear main looks to be dripping oil drops per second to every other second. I have got to figure out a way to get an engine hoist. Smh. Ugh. Wish this was easier

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Ok, 3 on the tree means mechanical clutch. Adjusts underneath. Easy fix. Lube all the points in the pedal at the bushings first some of your trouble is there. They may even need replaced.

5/8 heater hose best bought new then replaced. You mentioned heater core that would be perfect time. Get some new clamps those look kinda crunchy. The sensor you need to replace is in the head passenger side. Hard to get to. Has 1 wire.

Rear main seal is done by pulling transmission, clutch and flywheel. You pop the old one out, put the new one in.
If it's not leaking real bad I'd wait until you know how the clutch is.
If replacing the clutch, I'd upgrade from the 10" to the 11"
Flywheel should be drilled with both sets of holes.

Thought I had a rear main seal instal picture on my recent 4.9, but must have forgotten to take it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Awesome. Well i got my to do list done. Even for my daily. The shoes felt very sticky. So thatll explain the stickiness when coming from a stop. Oil change is done, found the rear main leaking. Gotta find a way to remove transmission and replace that seal. Hopefully an easy back yard job. I wouldn't imagiy this transmission being super heavy. I figured if i can get my truck up on something or atleast move a jack under transmission, i can lower the transmission.

Idk if u can see this or not. But this sounds harder than it should be
b2c55b8c499ce2b50d37f57d1f5a084d.jpg

After closer inspection, the oil pan is actually leaking. This looks like an easy task but prodemand calls for 2.8 hours. My guess is alot more needs to be taken out?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Sorry, late to answer. Can't really read your attachments.

Oil pan fairly easy. Raise engine enough to pull motor mounts off. Oil pan will come down. You have to take the oil pump and pickup tube down before pan will come out.
Pan comes out. Buy 1 piece oil gasket.

This is a good time to replace the pump with a high volume high pressure pump. Clean all surface and bolts
There are points usually come with the gasket go in the 4 corners. Look like a wedge
Put weather strip cement on both ends, sides of block. This helps gasket to stick.

Assemble pan. Blue Locktight the bolts. Run them up to snug all the way around. Ill find torque sequence and pound for you in a next post. Watch the gasket make sure not to squeeze it out while torturing. Put motor mounts back on set engine back down

So loosen motor mounts. Might as well get new ones. They are shot.
How difficult is the oil pickup? Never gotten that far into an engine before

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Oil pickup no problem. Oil pump a little bit pia because of the drive rod, but doable
Oil pickup 2 bolts in pump, 1 in rod cap. Pump 2 bolts
Both have to come off to remove pan from truck to clean it up. You roll the pan up to the side, remove the pump and pickup, then pan. Reverse to install
9dc46f58f0fb46b73176eb10c8cc11ab.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
That leak is right at the "U" of the oil pan by the transmission

That is a seal. One piece gasket takes care of it, or if you go cork the 2 ends are rubber. Fit in the slot. You put form a gasket in the 4 corners to create an additional seal. Just a dab. It spreads when the gasket smashes down

Got it. I appreciate ur help. Ill order these soon. Hopefully i can get them cheap. I was sick one day last week so my check will b low this payday

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Rock auto for the win. Let me know when ready I'll help pick stuff out, and give you a discount coupon

Awesome. Ill probably order things Saturday. What would be the point of the high pressure oil pump? 75$ on RA. Never replaced one. Glad i worked on my truck yesterday. It snowed last night

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
As your rod and main bearings wear the oil pressure starts to drop.The oil pump pressure also drops due to wear. Oil buildup and scum blocks ports and passages through the motor. The high pressure high volume pump puts more oil at a slightly pressure than a stock pump. So givin all the above wear variables it's a bandaid to make your motor last a bit longer while your in there. Even if you dont go that option at least replace the pump with a stock type pump while the pan is down

That makes sense actually. I think next month im gonna buy a harbor freight engine hoist. 189$ for one. 1 ton cap. So if i get everything working, maybe one day I'll take it out and redo everything. This is definitely a project that I'm wanting to try to make all original again maybe with some modern stuff too. I need to source out another filter housing or atleast figure out mine. It has this valve thing on it. Idk what it does. Hoses for i guess evap are brittle hard and some are gone. So i gotta reroute all of that in the coming weeks and or months. I've got so much to do but I'm trying to make sure y'all guys will still be here. Its awesome to have people with knowledge. Especially who reply reasonably fast even due to them working and stuff. Glad this site isn't dead. I love it. Great friends here!!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I'll be here. Been since almost the beginning of this site.
When my old cherry picker gave up I looked at the harbor freight one. Nice. But ended up with the one from pep boys. Legs fold up to make it more compact for storage, and the crain part is extendable to reach out farther. You pick up less weight extended but works for other projects too. Only trouble the wheels were cheap, broke and replaced 2 over time
Price was about the same as the other one
This seems to be the only picture I have of it
32879fd931811a4a2b9082f5d3e4247f.jpg

On these trucks does the bumper have to be removed to get out out? Seems like just unbolt trans and other fitments, un bolt motor mounts radiator and heater core, unbolt starter and it's out.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
No, just radiator, condenser, oil cooler if auto.
Pull forward, then up. Hood has to come off sometimes.
Your truck with the small trans I would probably pull the trans out with it. Seperate on the ground. You will need a motor stand to put the motor on while working on it

Ford Truck Articles