Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trucks been sitting

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
My engine is just the tip of the hat on that project. I need to do a build thread here like I did my other truck.

The air pump is kind of nessicary if you still run a cat. It also puts air back into the head, leans out the mixture. Not to hard to disable the system if you need to.

A picture or 2 of my 89 project
e0f10af22a1142456fc24ce49bafd2c4.jpg
b82a3217263ce573015919a429eb4a36.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Cat started in 74, could be someone took yours off tho

Looks like ot is possible, but alot of people on the ford site dont recommend it, so i guess ill be leaving it alone haha

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Im gonna go out to the truck today and see what the exhaust looks like. Gotta be honest. Its been forever since ive looked at it. Ill be glad to get this truck reliable again. I can think of only twice its let me down. Once when i ran out of fuel and when my clutch fingers wouldnt let me shift. But if then i got it home. Oh also the carb gets stuck sometimes. Have to put it in neutral and raise the hood and wiggle it around a bit.
For some reason that i cant remember, i carried around 2 liter bottles of water. I think one day I thought i smelled fire or something and it freaked me out. Man i was a kid so i cant remember. :/

Fellro

Staff member
If the cat has been removed, then the air pump no longer is needed. Most of us aren't under EPA enforcement so can get away with it. In the event that were to ever be different then the smog stuff would be needed.

The sticking carb can be varnish or corrosion. Spray some penetrating oil at the points the shaft goes throiugh the body and just work it until it frees up some.

A word of advice if you are concerned with fires, water won't help if gas or oil are burning, only spreads it around more. You will need an ABC fire extinguisher. The ABC refers to the type fires it will work on.
Class A
Class A fires are fires in ordinary combustibles such as wood, paper, cloth, rubber, and many plastics.
Class B
Class B fires are fires in flammable liquids such as gasoline, petroleum greases, tars, oils, oil-based paints, solvents, alcohols. Class B fires also include flammable gases such as propane and butane. Class B fires do not include fires involving cooking oils and grease.
Class C
Class C fires are fires involving energized electical equipment such as computers, servers, motors, transformers, and appliances. Remove the power and the Class C fire becomes one of the other classes of fire.

So after looking at my exhaust, i do have a cat under the cab with a muffler. And looks to be cut off after it. Also i did put a little gas in the truck. Sending unit does move a little. But didn't put a ton of gas in it. So looks like it works. Ill know more soon.

Yeah before i was a volunteer fire fighter, i didnt know that stuff. Of course that was me before i got a bit wiser.
Yeah idk why the carb ever got stuck. Didnt happen a whole lot. I believe it was only at wide open throttle if i recall. Here on the outskirts of TN were not under emissions law yet(joe biden in office will more than likely change that). In tennessee, i believe if i read it right, law states if your vehicle is tagged with an antique plate, ur okay. Of course then I won't be able to drive my truck every day either. But idk. We will see

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Some states it's just a visual inspection. My state (Md) it's all plug in 96 newer. Sniff 96 older. Half ton is exempt to 96. No adl to plug into.
Historic is exempt
But as stated you can't use them every day. None of my vehicles have historic or street rod tags

I just had this thought. It has never occurred to me before.... Why is it old cars you have to press the pedal a few times before trying to start it? Its not "pumping" fuel until the engine is started... So whats the purpose? Google says for a choke, but what's really behind that ?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
There is a spring loaded linkage/ heat spring that pulls the choke closed as soon as you hit the throttle pedal. Then the accelerator pump squirts a shot of fuel down the barrels to prime the system when you start cranking. After the engine fires, and create some heat the spring pulls the linkage back open. More modern carburetors have a electric spring instead of mechanical.

This is how it's supposed to work anyway. Binding linkage, vacuum leaks, or missing parts could be an issue

Last edited:
Ah. I just always assumed when u tap the throttle it pumps fuel from the tank. And once it's started, the fuel pump takes over haha. Idk why i never thought about it. I grew up when my dad had 76-77 monte carlos. And he always did that. By the time i got older everything was fuel injected so i never had to tap the throttle except on the older stuff haha.

Ill be going outside in a bit once it warms up a little more to get some gas in the ford.
Gotta connect the fuel tank to the pump. I was gonna take the tank out, but not really feeling like dropping the tank. I figure ill just use Seafoam for now and see what happens
Then i gotta drain the oil. Had seafoam sitting in the tank and oil all week. Gonna run it for about 10 mins or so just to get the oil moving and drain it today.
Need to air up the tires. And move it closer to the house so i can flush the coolant next week.
Need to source some drive belts too. Them things are chirping worse every time I let the engine run. Was gonna buy the coolant gauge last weekend but had some unexpected tool truck buys haha. So thats on hold till next payday.

Then after i get the ford done, i gotta remove the wheel of my daily and figure out why my rear brake shoe feels likes its hanging on acceleration. Thats my whole day. Hope u guys have a great weekend!!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Not sure on the dudges, but if it's like the Fords
The calipers come off, then the rotor comes off, there are a set of shoes in there for parking brake. Either the cable is hung up, the shoes have come loose and hung up, or the backing plate is rusted out and the shoes are floating around doing what they want
99c9ab8be7c5f4e8a894dfcd97610a1b.jpg
9f1fbfc34e16f82b8a1a85b75ac78155.jpg

fab954c8499f8bfa5934d536a42bc6fb.jpg

Last edited:
Its drum brakes on the dodge. Thats the daily. I had a fuel line rupture at walmart the week before last. I think diesel got inside the drum. The cover for the star wheel is missing. Always has been. But i think diesel got inside and possibly ruined everything.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You can pop the drums, and clean everything real good with brakeclean. Make sure to put neverseize on contact points.
The shoes are still good, just got gummed up with the diesel and brake dust.
This is a ford, the difference is the way the springs are that hold and apply tension to the shoes.
3f1a6d5f1a635398c9ed38f74ea7e2ea.jpg

Last edited:
Well i was able to get the truck to run around the yard. Didnt wanna leave it running too long because my temp gauge doesnt work.
Also i have a mouse in my truck i need to attend to when i take my heater core box off and clean it out. Smells like mouse pee. I need to adjust my clutch pedal. When i had my clutch redone it did that. Its lower than my brake pedal. My fuel gauge barely moved up when i put 4 gallons of gasoline in it. It was kinda on a hill too so that may have been that.
ec7349e74254373366c436e0ef614783.jpg
75a0e5cea063088f99c98f69ce4dcea1.jpg
662c5eb3616d4a6a8f8af85046a8ec18.jpg
9de864d806ec6af59ad4f0e8d5f26322.jpg
594eec5c4984cc28ffa2749d7e8cfdc7.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Get a picture of the firewall by the brake booster. If I remember correctly my 83 had a hydro clutch.
That being said if so it probably just needs bled.
Picture to say whether mechanical or hydro

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts