Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The 'New' 400

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
No way to tell bear, without the sticker off the oem valve cover. Externally the 351M and 400 are identical. Only the stroke is different.

351M Bore 4" x 3.50" stroke
400 Bore 4" x 4" stroke

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
With 93,000 on it I don't think I would put it in without changing the valve stem seals, and that would be a good time to put in a hotter cam, a 4bbl carb, and intake!!!

I might even be tempted to throw in a new oil pump!!!

That's just me though!!!

Don't worry, the carb/intake I have my 351 is going on there. I planned on the valve seals too. Oil pump...not a bad idea. As for the cam...I wanna make sure the thing runs first before I throw 'go fast' goodies at it.

The 351M/400 uses the big bolt pattern bell housing that it shares with the 429/460.

Can't believe I missed that question Tex...but he got it. They did however, make the FMX tranny back in the day that was SB bolt pattern to 335 series.

Speaking of which- is this a 351 or a 400? Nestled in a '75 Ranchero. I can't tell the difference.

It was already answered, but no way to tell the difference just by looking, only difference is the crank and pistons...you gotta measure the stroke...my preferred method is just taking a wooden dowel and marking it once you hit the bottom of the stroke...then measuring the distance.

Oh wait, I thought you were going to do a build like Duncan is doing?

Naw...not this one...this is just so I can have a little more power and so I don't have to throw a quart of oil in every 150 miles.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Kick *** Ben! send lots of pics :D

I was gonna ask if there would be any interest in a 'tech thread' about removal and installation...if so, I'll take pics...if not (since it's not much of big job) then I won't.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I was gonna ask if there would be any interest in a 'tech thread' about removal and installation...if so, I'll take pics...if not (since it's not much of big job) then I won't.

It's always good to have pictures and a write up!

Yes please do. If your willing to put fourth the time and effort, it would be appreciated.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yes please do. If your willing to put fourth the time and effort, it would be appreciated.

Alright...then I'll do it. I don't think I'll be heading home til about October 15th...but I'll be home for a week. I'll also have to get my hands on a hoist and stand.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
While I know how to put an engine in I'd like to see pics of it too Ben. I'm sure it can help others who may view it as a big job to see it being done as well.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright guys...a writeup it will be then. I'm kinda nervous actually...because this will be my first swap without anyone (mainly my dad) helping me. But I just got a hoist and stand lined up...so I should be good to go.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
You should be fine Ben. At least these trucks don't have a billion wires to connect like some new cars.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You should be fine Ben. At least these trucks don't have a billion wires to connect like some new cars.

HAHA...yeah, my main problem isn't going to be yanking it out...it'll be 'what did I forget to put back on/hook back up/tighten up' when it's all said and done.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Whatever bolts are left over put in the glovebox for a week. If nothing falls off by then you won't need them anymore LOL

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So ben maybe I missed but why aren't you driving Thunder?

It's harder to navigate around campus, and gets 8-10 mpg's. I drive it when I'm at home. I used to drive thunder up here when my 87 Bronco's AOD went out, and it wasn't all that fun. So the Bronco gets the best mpg's outta my rides, easiest to navigate around Knoxville, and I don't give a damn if it gets scratched or dinged.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts