Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tailgate latch/handle exploded view???

Alright...thanks for the tip Buck.
To be honest, I think I'd rather keep replacing $1 clips than taking
that thing apart...haha. But you're right, over the last few months,
I did notice some binding...so I may wanna bite the bullet.
Yeah, good one, Buck. :)

Danggit Ben you and me are like opposites that way. :)

I hear a new noise or feel something not quite right, I look into it right away.

You know... ;) ...like -before- something breaks. LOL :)

But no kidding... "new noises are bad!"

Things like the window mechanisms or door latches, tailgate latch if it feels
tight that's damage/wear happening. Deal with it now with a few drops of
oil (or whatever) or replace a bunch of parts later. Take your pick.

Alvin in AZ
ps- I'm not quite as tactful as Buck, huh? ;)

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alvin...if I have all the time in the world, I try to get right on a problem...however, time usually isn't on my side. Either it's a problem I rarely notice, so it becomes out of sight, out of mind...or I don't have the time to look into it further because I'm rushing around to get back to school. Don't get me wrong, if it's a big problem, I do everything I can to get on it...but a sticky tailgate on a ride I only see every few months doesn't sit too high on the priority list.

NOCO77

Somethin' Like That
I managed to replace mine (left-side) without any disassembly using some pre-bent needle nose pliers. I actually found metal versions at NAPA, so went that way. The metal ones are commonly used on carb linkage applications, so they are around if you look.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
but a sticky tailgate on a ride I only see every few months doesn't sit too high on the priority list.

That's how I would look at it too. smilieeatndrink

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post here. Looking forward to be a part of the forum here. I have a 79 Lariat Shortbed. The tailgate rod on one side is just hanging so I have to use my finger to pull it at the same time as lifting the handle. It's gotten so bad I have to use screwdrivers to jimmy it. I want to take the whole thing apart, redo it and lubricate everything. Obviously there is no access panel whatsoever. I know I need to replace the little plastic clips. What is at the other end of the rod holding it to mechanism? Also I started to unbolt the one side of the mechanism and got a little nervous. There's a total of 3 bolts. The bottom has a threaded part on the tailgate, but it seems the top 2 have a nut on the inside? Is this the case? What's to stop the nut from falling inside the gate? Sorry to resurrect such an old post. I googled the hell out of this and couldn't find any info. Found the forum here. The LMC truck diagram kind of sucks. Does anybody have anything better? I'll take pics and post a little how to if you guys can kind of guide me a bit.

Matt

Tailgatelatch.jpg

Unless there is a trick I don't know about, the rods and clips are a pain to get into place with the little bit of room there is to work with.

Thanks for the diagrams.

Use a pair of needle-nose pliers

The bottom has a threaded part on the tailgate,
but it seems the top 2 have a nut on the inside?
Is this the case?
What's to stop the nut from falling inside the gate?
Matt
"good threads never die! :)" -Alvin

All three "nuts" are "captive" so won't fall off or go anywhere on ya. :) *

*Except for those that live in the rust-belt? :/

I swear, tailgate-mechanism-work goes in the same category with
window-mechanism-work. It's been worked out by a committee to
leave the smallest holes they can in the door or tailgate. So, it's
kinda like working out a puzzle every time I work on one.

Enjoy working on it like a game? ;)

Alvin in AZ

Ford Truck Articles