Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tailgate latch/handle exploded view???

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Does anyone out there have an exploded view of where the tailgate latch rod connects to the 'handle mechanism' for a 77? Some how my left latch rod got disconnected from the handle, and I have no clue what's going on in there. I assume there is some sort of clip or something that keeps the rod in place and after 32 years, let loose. Thanks in advance.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Not sure. You might try the parts store. Im going on memory here, so bear with me. I think your tailgate has a big panel on the inside right? If so, thats the access to the latch. If not, there is probably 3 or 4 screws on the inside center that will drop the latch down where you can eyeball it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...it's the screws...and I found the clip on JBG. Thanks for the help

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Ben when I fixed mine I unbolted the latch so it would hang a little bit to put the clips in. You can get clips to fix it at Autozone, O'Reillys, etc. in the Help! section.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben when I fixed mine I unbolted the latch so it would hang a little bit to put the clips in. You can get clips to fix it at Autozone, O'Reillys, etc. in the Help! section.

Alright...thanks

Do you still need a diagram

Not really...but if anyone has them readily available, I never turn them down. But really, if it's any trouble, don't worry about it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I've probably got it but I would have to scan, load to PB then post

Then don't worry about it. I'm sure if I actually look hard enough, I probably have it in my literature somewhere. Just didn't know if someone like Dennis would already have it hosted somewhere and with a couple clicks could post it up. But thanks.

Tailgatelatch.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Perfect...thanks Dennis...now I know exactly what I'm looking at

They sell those clips at body shop supply houses.
Maybe a Pico Product

I have a link here somewhere.

D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yes, that is a tight place to work. If a clip broke, you may need to take things apart and clean things up so the tailgate opens a bit more smoothly.

Alright...thanks for the tip Buck. To be honest, I think I'd rather keep replacing $1 clips than taking that thing apart...haha. But you're right, over the last few months, I did notice some binding...so I may wanna bite the bullet.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Alright...thanks for the tip Buck. To be honest, I think I'd rather keep replacing $1 clips than taking that thing apart...haha. But you're right, over the last few months, I did notice some binding...so I may wanna bite the bullet.

When mine was binding a little I just unbolted the latches and sprayed alot of white lube on them and it worked for me without having to remove much.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts