Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

T-Case Question

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Sweet, want to hand me my beer?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You better take the old one apart to find out what was wrong with it, or you're a sissy! :D If it's something simple like the shift fork tabs, you could probably repair it for cheep and sell it for a profit ;)

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Bad News

Took old tcase out, started truck, put in reverse only to hear my sound. Damn it need trans. If I could sum up the words in my head right now this whole thread would be deleted. Im not going to put tcase back it, I got to find trans now.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I sware that sound was the tcase, and when i drained the fluid there was little peices of metal. Fudge....i got to call a guy tomorrow ive been putting off. Well as of today, I can only drive when its nice out. Stang doesnt see rain.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Well i got a trans, 6 months rebuilt. 250 bucks. Going to pick it up this weekend. Here are some pics of my truck apart taking up space in my garage caus I dont feel like pushing it out and back in. I have 2 tcases, as that was my orig fix, the one I picked up is supposed to have 20K but came from a 90 F350 so it has the speedo hole in the tailshaft housing. What one should I use, my 115K tcase that has no issues yet, or the 20K? Can I swap the tailshaft end from my case so I dont have to make a plate to cover up the hole?
IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If it were me.... I'd take apart the tcase with the 'supposed' 20k miles on it and check the slack in the drive chain and the condition of the plastic shift fork tabs. If both look good then I'd install that one and plug the speedo gear hole.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I have used those rubber expansion plugs to block speedo drive holes. You know, the rubber ones with the bolt in them that can be used to replace freeze plugs.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Ahh didnt think about them. Yea i got a job today, my old boss called me back and was like I want you. So im going to be working again and ill have money for stuff lol. Ill take em apart this weekend.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ahh didnt think about them. Yea i got a job today, my old boss called me back and was like I want you. So im going to be working again and ill have money for stuff lol. Ill take em apart this weekend.
You going back to pumping gas or is he gonna put you in the shop?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Shop son, full time, I wont pump gas anymore, only on my own stuff, or the girl is mad hot and I happen to be around. I think he said 15 an hr. When I was fired i was gettin 12.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Picked up a trans today. 250 bucks guy took it out and all for me, supposed 6 months rebuilt. Drove truck on jack stands and had it shift through all the gears. No wierd sounds so I hope its good. Fluid was clean and red. Here are some pics of it.
E4ODFrontUsed.jpg

E4ODLeftUsed.jpg

E4ODRightUsed.jpg

I got to say the E4OD is the biggist and heavist trans I have ever picked up. I was going to try to pull my old one out my self, but I fear that I will drop the trans on my face and my brain will be splattered on the floor. For the size of it youd think that they wouldnt be a POS. Guy kept the back half where the tcase connects to. He was like I give that peice with the tcase, he prob couldnt get it off or something. Hope it goes well and i dont mess my face up. Its all I got.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Be careful what u say around Chris...did you see the incident with him and Scott?heh.....funny as hell....I didn't no u were jobless.....glad to hear you got ur old job back though...and makin more than me....nazi......50 cents ain't no biggy lol....hope the trans works out for ya...if I was about 1000 miles closerI'd help ya with that...then we can splatter our faces in a group effort (min'es not that purdy anyways) lmao.Later

JR

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Got the trans out today, but it was late in the day as I had no one to help me, so I swapped the tail shaft housing, and the shift kit over, its nice doing the shift kit when the trans in turned upside down and all the ck balls dont fall out. I did manage to make a ATF lake in my garage, what a pain. No one wants to help me put it back in so I guess ill be putting it in tomorrow.

I also had to swap the gear selector shaft from my trans as its different from the one I got. There is a pin that holds the shifter shaft in and on the used trans it was hit in too far and I couldnt grab it with anything so I had to grind the case down a bit so I had enough to grab. Finally got it all done and ready to put in.

Last edited:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Well i figure id update my progress. I got the trans back in umm last week some time, and then today I was finishing everything up as I have been super busy and unmotovated since I started back at working. I finally remembered to bring my tools home to finish everything. Well I was hooking the trans harness up and the selonid pack has a different plug then my harness, so I got to pull the pack out and either swap mine in or fig out how to make it work. Well she wont be done today but I did get the tcase in and the rear driveshaft in. Ill finish everything up tomorrow.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Check and see if the wire colors are the same for both harnesses. You might be able to get away with just swapping the harnesses and splicing the wires together, that way you wouldn't have to take the whole thing apart again. Not to mention, the problems you were having with your old trans COULD be related to your solenoid pack (probably not) but why risk carrying the problem over to the new one?

The only thing that makes me nervous is... If the solenoid packs have different plugs then is the transmission going to cooperate with the computer the same way, or do you need to replace your computer with one from that transmission's year. Food for thought.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I cleaned out my solenoid pack and put it in, the older one has 1 less pin then mine does. The plug is the same shape but has a tab on the back, ill try it out and see what happens, I got to go to my trans guy and get the shifter detent and mine broke swapping the shifter shaft and the one in the used trans was broke when I got it. I got everything done other then the filter and the shifter junk. So tomorrow or the next day I will finish it up. It was nicer when I wasnt working, I got to wake up in the morning and I dont have time to work on my junk after working on junk all day. Wish I better and something else.

Ford Truck Articles