Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Suspension Lift Vs. Body lift?

optikalillushun

Coal Cracker
As said before, installing a body lift properly is more than just putting on some blocks to space the body from the frame.

With whatever lift u decide to get, make sure it comes with a dropped pitman arm for the steering, front leaves, brackets and any assocciated drop brackets (sway bar and if needed, brake line) or opt for stainless steel extended brake lines. For the rear u can get a kit with a block, block/AAL or full leaf pack. There is also the option of a shackle flip (flips the shackle and hanger) to gain approx 3-5" of lift in the rear, usually needing no block at all. Some of the lifts dont come with shocks, which is another thing to consider. I perfer Bilstiens, but what they provide (if they do) would be adaquate.

Steering stabilzers are a highly debated topic but as said, if everything is tight and in proper geometery there isnt a real need for one. Case in point, my gals bronco has a 6" Stupidlift that had a stabilzer. I removed it and it actually handles and drives better without it.

Other things to consider looking into/replacing while doing a lift are the pivot bushings for the suspension arms, middle u-joint and have a check over the steering, ball joints and wheel bearings. Also remember adjustable camber bushings will be needed to get the allignment back to specs.

Last edited:

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Great info there. Thanks!

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
The most I would run are 35s. Currently I am running 33s and they just barely fit.

Ford Truck Articles