Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Suspension Lift Vs. Body lift?

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind sharing some information on these types of lifts. I am considering a small one (4" Max).

What are the pros/cons of each?
Which type tends to be more expensive?
Will they cause problems in the long run?
Which one requires more adjustments (steering, shifter, etc.)?
What brands would you guys recommend? I hear good things about Skyjacker.

Much appreciated, Happy 4th of July everyone! :flag:

Last edited:

primetime

sawmill slave
Happy belated 4th Mike.

I`m going to recommend a suspension lift. Why? I`ve done a couple of body lifts for friends, and here`s what usually happens. You spend $100 on a body lift. Then you tear your 15 year old truck apart. Well the frame is rotted, the body mounts are junk.

You fix those, and jam the lift in. Well now the fuel filler necks are to short, the fan shroud has to be cut, the transfer case shifter may or may not have to be heated and bent to work, the trans shifter cable may need to be addressed (they`re not overly long), and the steering shaft should be alright.

Suspension lifts are usually more to buy into initially, but if you add in the costs to do a body lift properly, they aren`t that different. Especially on a truck like yours that doesn`t have an overly complicated suspension design.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Justin you nailed it. You addressed most of the downfalls of the body lift. There are more like gaps you have to fill at the trail gate and at the grill.

Fellro

Staff member
Additional downsides is that when you do a body lift, you will also introduce stresses on the mounts and mounting points of the body and frame, which creates cracking and damage to the body parts typically. You will also have motion of body parts due to improper support. The body was designed to be bolted straight from the frame, not extended away from it.

460Trucker

Will I need to purchase steering stabilizers as well for the suspension lift?

This is great information guys, thank you very much.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Mike stabilizers are a must especially if you plan to run oversize tires imo.They do aid in vehicle control and remove any harshness from oversize tires as well.also they aid in a tire failure situation.I run the dual stabilizer setup on my 79 F250 4x4.Just an FYI,I have the skyjacker 6" suspension lift and love it myself.on smooth roads the truck drives and rides very well,however on bumpy roads...well thats another story..lol.I also have a 3" Body lift..mine was proffessionally installed by a Body and frame shop,along with the suspension lift by the previous owner..I am sure it was a costly process, but it was done right.The guys above have correctly stated the hurdles and down falls of a body lift if it is not done properly.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Mike stabilizers are a must especially if you plan to run oversize tires imo.They do aid in vehicle control and remove any harshness from oversize tires as well.also they aid in a tire failure situation.I run the dual stabilizer setup on my 79 F250 4x4.Just an FYI,I have the skyjacker 6" suspension lift and love it myself.on smooth roads the truck drives and rides very well,however on bumpy roads...well thats another story..lol.I also have a 3" Body lift..mine was proffessionally installed by a Body and frame shop,along with the suspension lift by the previous owner..I am sure it was a costly process, but it was done right.The guys above have correctly stated the hurdles and down falls of a body lift if it is not done properly.

I'll have to disagree with that...at best, in most uses a stabilizer is a band aid to compensate for cut corners. If your steering geometry is correct you should never need a stabilizer. I'll agree it does eliminate some harshness in relation to bumpsteer, but is never a necessity.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I also say suspension lift for the reasons already stated.

I gotta agree with Ben about a stabilizer... if your setup is right, there should be no need for one... Doesn't hurt to have one, but it shouldn't be necessary for a safe ride. If it is, you have problems.

460Trucker

Once again, big thanks for all of your opinions and information. With a kit that I buy (Here is the one I am considering: http://www.roughcountry.com/suspension/4wd-ford/f250_80-98_4.html )

It states I may need to purchase separate items such as sway bars. I am unsure as to what these are and where they would be located in the suspension. Does anyone know off the top of their head whether a 1997 F250 Heavy Duty would have them? I won't be able to take a look for a while.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'll offer this as well, suspension lifts are another arena where you definitely get what you pay for. If you're just wanting to be cool and sit higher, by all means, go with RC...but they're a sub-par lift IMO. And as you've already mentioned, you potentially need other parts to complete the install, which can add up to more than a more expensive lift depending on application. Personally, I'd rather purchase an all inclusive lift, gain the extra function and know everything I need is there.

460Trucker

Ben - I am doing this more for show, I don't off road with my show truck smilieFordlogo

Thanks again for all the info.

I've done 3 vehicles with body lifts and had absolutely no problems. Each time I lifted the body evenly and slowly to see how far I could go with out alterations . All 3 were 2-2 1/4 inches. Of course they were late 70's to 80 vehicles too.
All were subjected to light wheelin . The 2" lift made it easier on the suspension lift.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben - I am doing this more for show, I don't off road with my show truck smilieFordlogo

Thanks again for all the info.

Obviously your call, but personally...if it's going under a show rig, that would be all the more reason for me to drop the extra coin. When I go to or did shows, those are the things that would make me cringe.

BuzzGun79

I Stand corrected on the use of a stabilizer,but i do know not to use them to band aid a prolblem.I should have been more specific.Ben is correct.I do like the aid they give personally on a correct situation.I appologize.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Hi Mike, as said by fellow FTF's , go with a better suspension company, your truck is to nice to be putting a cheap lift on, and you will not be happy!
I've lifted and dropped trucks, on the lifted I used SkyJacker, and on the drop BellTech, and got the complete kits, all hardware and shocks include. I also had them installed professionally, wheel alignments and all. You don't want a poor handling truck, even if it's just for show. There is the safety factor too.

460Trucker

People seem to agree on Skyjacker, problem is, that is a bit out of my price range. I can't find a kit for less than $1100. Rough Country seems to be the best option in terms of affordability, I think I may wait and save up more for the Skyjacker or go with Rough Country. Most of my driving is straightaway rural roads if that makes a difference.

This is great information, thanks again, truly appreciated!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
IMO...it would be worth saving and opting for an all spring kit ( no blocks). In the grand scheme of things, the extra $4-500 will hardly be noticeable. Let's be honest, we, as gear heads, can't throw on a lift and then be satisfied with the tires...which turns in to new rims, etc. An extra few months of saving will be well worth it IMO.

Last edited:

BuzzGun79

I have to agree with Bens statement Mike..This is one area you want to do right the first time..save up and go with the better lift kit.When it comes to suspension lift upgrades you get what you pay for in the long run.

460Trucker

Good to know guys. I will be sure to post whatever I end up doing!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts