Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

SMOG HELP NEEDED!! Those versed in CA smog chime in please!

I go through this every 2 years. Always a hassle. I see that your is a "gross polluter." That's BAD. Mine was the same. Now you have to go to a Gold Shield station for a test. No free retest at the same place unless it s Gold. To make a long story short. Million helped me a LOT! vacuum diagram, etc. mine is a 400, but mostly the same as far as smog. What got mine to pass was to reroute the vacuum lines so no vacuum advance at idle. Then I backed the timing way off until it ran like crap. I had a smog sniffer I borrowed from work, so it wasn't just a shot in the dark. I also had a vacuum leak due to a faulty intake casting, but that may not have been the only problem.

Well....mine is a 79 400, not a 460, but last test it was a "gross polluter'. What I did to make it pass was (it's a Motorcraft 2 bbl 2150 carb) disconnect and plug the vacuum advance. Set the timing at 0 deg. Back the two mixture screws out 3 1/2 to 4 turns. Set the idle speed fast (just below the limit (1400, I think). It passed pretty well, but ran like crap. As soon as I got it home, I reset the timing to 10 BTDC, reconnected the vacuum advance and leaned out the idle mixture. Runs fine now, and good for another two years. But...I live at 6500 ft and I bought the truck in Alaska, where elevation is about 500 ft. Could be part of the problem.

Last edited:
Been off for a few weeks poor 250 been in the driveway parked. 106* been too hot even in the evening to work on it. Couple of notes. The smog stations in these area are friggin sharp cause it means $$. They checked everything and the timing. Mine calls for a 4bbl so a 2 wont cut it neither. I am really wondering if the smog pump is even putting anything out. First things first. I have tried the dealership here and they are no help. After the lift I went to get my beams bent and aligned. Seems my water pump must have failed and they drove it with no water(best of my ability to diagnose. Near burnt the motor on the way home. I replaced the water pump and t-stat. I thought I had really been careful documenting the bolt locations and bracketry placement. apparently not well enough. I can not seem to figure the placement of the smog pump to what bolts and the alternator. They are still on at least one bolt location each I did not remove completely. Mine is alt below pump. My books Chilton and Climber do not have a pic of the 460 with my dressage. What's yours look like. I need to address this before anything can be done to the smog. I may get a new pump and I also noticed the hot air flapper on the air cleaner closes when hooked to the vacuum source and remains closed even on warm up so am wondering if the little temp sensor at the bottom of the cleaner is also fubar.

Last edited:
Having trouble with my foto program will try and load pics later. Million thanks, unfortunately looks as if your charts still dont show them both mounted and to what holes. I really gotta get the pics loaded tonight. Off to work..Thanks guys .

Replaced waterpump need to know what mounts to what holes on the pum on passenger side?

Ok here we go. Got the pics let see with all this brain power at the sites disposal if we can solve the puzzle. Not one of the above charts even shows the correct bracket I have on here. But judge for yourself and jump in anytime, I think I may start a different posting as this one is mixed with great info but is ore emissions related. Gonna put up the pics anyway on both. here you go.
Before waterpump removal:
1779775_10201780556143086_2017747909_n.jpg

10273998_10202309188078554_1490645889420867135_n.jpg

After removal
20140711_202525.jpg

20140711_202536.jpg

20140711_202544.jpg

20140711_202553.jpg

20140711_202611.jpg

20140711_202629.jpg

20140711_202651.jpg

Ok here we go. Got the pics let see with all this brain power at the sites disposal if we can solve the puzzle. Not one of the above charts even shows the correct bracket I have on here. But judge for yourself and jump in anytime, I think I may start a different posting as this one is mixed with great info but is ore emissions related. Gonna put up the pics anyway on both. here you go.
Before waterpump removal:

After removal

I saw you had pulley belt issues

400pulleys.jpg

Last edited:
Thx Million belts I can figure but the bracket mounting to what and which bolt is my real problem. There just doesn't seem to be any diagrams that map bolt and bracket location for my specific truck. Getting frustrated with it a bit.

Thx Million belts I can figure but the bracket mounting to what and which bolt is my real problem. There just doesn't seem to be any diagrams that map bolt and bracket location for my specific truck. Getting frustrated with it a bit.

I was sure that first belt illustration would help.
I know when converting alternator upper position to lower position you simply turn the bracket and use a shorter spacer.

Which A.C. compressor are you using?

Stock yorks. Nothing that I can tell has been swapped or changed, from the looks of things. It only has 68K miles so it could very well still be the original pumps, compressors and alt for all I know. Drivers side accessories are all on, and the belts are labeled as you saw. Just can't figure which bracket goes where and it what sequence, I remember I had to remove something to allow access to another bolt and so on. :headbang:

Stock yorks. Nothing that I can tell has been swapped or changed, from the looks of things. It only has 68K miles so it could very well still be the original pumps, compressors and alt for all I know. Drivers side accessories are all on, and the belts are labeled as you saw. Just can't figure which bracket goes where and it what sequence, I remember I had to remove something to allow access to another bolt and so on. :headbang:

The only other thing I can do is to untarp my 77 460 and photograph it.

Or

To find a better exploded illustration of your set up.

There isn't any procedure instructions in a step by step method.

Thanks Mil1ion and all who have lent an ear to this recent problem. I think it was good I walked away from it for this month or so to get prospective. Even though I took pictures on how things went prior to disassembly, it was not enough, my bad. The fact the Ford, the factory could not show me in any books what the sequence of how to disassemble or reassemble was pathetic. Now my truck might be a rare bird here and maybe only here as it has the CA only smog crap, but of all the people who I have had contact me not one has had my combo, interestingly enough of a dozen in CA not one had all the equipment on them to verify anything. This site nor FTE or any of the Mustang or other Ford sites I tried shed any light. This truck was going on long term hiatus as of this past Thursday as it is friggin' hot and I have a crap load of other things to do during my workcation. This past Friday was my birthday(48). I got up early watered trees, cleaned dog sheat up and after spending all day Thursday working on installing engine mods on my son 350Z, I decided to have a go at the 79. Again I looked at the brackets and no go. I came inside and googled "1979 stock 460 ford motor" tried several different scenarios and got no complete pics of the dressage on the motor. Then a small pic( one just one) showed what looked to be the same bracket that was still on it's stock mount on my truck. I could tell after blowing it up in size that it was the same. The motor though had to be of later vintage or maybe earlier not sure, due to the the different a/c compressor and Saginaw PS pump and their flipped locations compared to mine. That morning at 7am when I started working on truck I asked God to allow me to get it on the road. That was all I wanted on my birthday. I know I should have asked for world peace, a cure for cancer and to have all our boys back from other countries, but I was selfish. You or whoever reads this may believe as you will, but I believe God gave me an Epiphany into this very menial problem in the grand scheme of things. I could have stared and have for hours racking my brain as if it were a Rubik's cubes. So I am off my podium and glad to say I was able to figure out the remaining positions of everything once I saw that bracket and where it attached to the block. There is definitely a sequence in taking and reinstalling things. I learned a hard lesson, but learn I did. I had to fix the shroud also as it was broken and unbeknownst to me. I installed new hoses and T-stat, as well as did an oil change as it overheated and prayed I did not warp the heads or cracked them, as the oil was pretty black and it was near new when it went down. The magnetic plug did not show any shavings or chunks, I changed the filter too. Filled it up with H2O and coolant redid an inspection, that's when I found the bad hose and replaced it and tighten everything down one more time. Fired it up and after 3 tries (as it's being parked uphill for near a month and a half), it fired up. No leaks, squeals, grindage or explosions. I let it warm up and the temp gauge sits right between the R and the M so in the middle. I drove it for 30 minutes never went higher and its 106* for the next week or so, I parked it and Thanked GOD for my Birthday present. I took it working today, picked up a door at Home Depot, parts at OSH for a wheelchair I brought back home last night to repair ( for my ailing visiting uncle from out of state) and then tot True Value, hauled everything it over to my parents house and returned home. NO leaks, no overheating. Then installed more mods with my son on his Z. Overall a good last few days. Picture is of the tell all bracket(circled in white.)

Attachments

• ccrp_0602_2_z+big_block_ford_engine_build+starting_point.jpg
Wow,Im glad you figured it out,sometimes,that is the way God plans things
out for folks.I aplaud you for your tough will.....:box2:

It sounds like youve been busy afterwards,Maybe you wished it was still
broke down....Ha ha....smilieFordlogo

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I'm glad you didn't give up on her and let the truck get to you, I felt frustrated last year with my 78 when I had ignition trouble with it I finally after replacing plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel pump, PCV valve, air filter, and installed an inline fuel filter. I had still had problems, after dealing one shop for three times, and no results, I got peed off and said that's it I'm taking it to the local Ford dealer and they had rebuilt the distributor, and they were going to reuse the old pickup wheel, and I had drove the truck for a day or two, without a problem, and it had sat for a day, went to start it well, the same problem, then I had stopped over to Ford and told them that it wouldn't start, and they sent the same mechanic that had worked on it out to look at it, and we found out that I had a bad pickup wheel in the distributor, they ordered a new pickup wheel for me, and I had drove it back there, and they had replaced my pickup wheel, but they didn't charge me any labor for replacing the pickup wheel, but just for the part itself, but a day or two later, I had stopped back to talk to the mechanic, and let him know how well the truck was running, and slipped him a $20 dollar bill to show my appreciation for his coming out to my house on his lunch break to look at my truck, and I had told him that it was because he had went beyond and above the call of duty to get my truck running and that I had really appreciated him fixing it. So don't give up on them when you get stumped by something on them just walk away for a bit and take a break, and then the solution to your problem will be right there and then you can take care of it, I'm glad you had another project to work on, and then you went back to your own project .smilieFordlogo

I will not make this a religious debate, but I have plenty of first hand stories of his intervention in my personal life. Irregardless of if you are religious or not, there are forces if you will beyond us. Yeh, I was really close to making this a green sticker vehicle and I still have not sorted out the smog issues due to it being down and not being able to address them. It will get done, it inspired me so much that I repaired the H2O pump on the Grand Marquis that I had replaced only a month earlier. I had gone with a rebuilt instead of new. I replaced with a new one and no more squealing and embarrassment going down the road. The rebuilt failed within a day of my wife driving it. I was about to pic a part that car as it is only a get me to work vehicle as it has a functioning A/C. I installed pretty quickly as I am becoming versed on these. I also replaced the puke tank and installed a new t-stat. It no longer squeals or run hot, it also had gotten hot and boiled all the water out and stopped running. I let that cool and came back that night filled it full of water and it drove right home. Upon inspection these 4.6l have a hose which is clamped right behind the water pump and has a screw on fitting below the upper intake. I started seeing weeping from the hose after about 10 minutes run time. So that is the culprit that caused the first pump to fail at least that what it seems to be. I now just have to keep the puke tank topped off so this other pump doesn't bite the dust as did the first. I would have to remove the entire top end on the overhead cam 4.6 to address that hose and I really don't want to spend that much time or effort, as when the smog is due in 2 years it's boneyard city baby for this puppy as i got a check engine light literally as I drove out of the smog station in June. Crappy design Ford!

Cbaker65, Nay I really want this truck up and on the road. I will be truthful I was never into these trucks, I was really in the older F-1's and jump to the 60-66 years only. I am really into the early Broncos and that is one of my other projects a 74 I call ANTiCON, it needs finishing, as I got F-250 and need and want it finished to do haul duty for all the other projects. Like I said I wasn't into them. When 3 of our cars were down at one point, my in-laws let us borrow a 75 Single Cab LB Explorer w/ 390/c6 . It was a guzzler and had been doing trash hauler and dump trip maker for them. I drove that for a while and I learned much about these trucks. I wasn't taken by the lines though and I am not a longbed person. Low and behold earlier part of last year started seeing more of these trucks on the road or at least started to notice them and finally paid attention at what I thought was a great looking style. I had pretty much dismissed getting one of these till I saw a few of the 78-79 and realized that they were different. I would not realized the exact differences from the earlier one till I started to CL search them. I was now on a mission to get one of those years as they were the only ones that really appealed to me(I know I will get blasted for this, but we all have our preferences right?) So now am deep deep into this build and although trying, has given me insight as well as tormented me. Once this 79 is done, the Bronco follows, then the 63 Short stepside( which will become stepless) will get the treatment. It's a disease I tell you!

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles