Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Slowly adding parts 1953 F100

I'm back with some alterations on my F100. Bed is off, and squared. The 302 is removed. The back panel under the tailgate is welded and preliminary roll pans are welded up with tail light holes cut. I was going to reuse the 302, but I got a deal on a 96 T-Bird 4.6 & decided to get an overdrive "SOHC" engine. Not as good as a "DOHC" but adequate. I have the Crager SSs mostly ready to run. I have the gauges ready along with a wiring kit from Speedway. Also got a kit of door push buttons allowing me to go 'handle less'. More when it gets better.

Attachments

• FordBed3 - Copy.JPG

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Sounds exciting. Is there much involved switching it all over to the 4.6? Fuel systems, computers, etc?

Ryan

4.6 wiring

Yes, it will be 'interesting'. Luckily I know a guy that will 'integrate' the EFI wiring & computer into the new wire kit that I bought. I got the whole engine & trans wiring along with the engine. I will have to get an inline fuel pump & Filter added to the mess. The guy has done the EFI installs before. The last was a 'Rat Rod' 48 Ford F1 that got a 5.0/5 speed It turned out very well done.
I wouldn't have a clue how to do it. Thank God for 20-something guys with no fear of computers.:hammer:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Yes, it will be 'interesting'. Luckily I know a guy that will 'integrate' the EFI wiring & computer into the new wire kit that I bought. I got the whole engine & trans wiring along with the engine. I will have to get an inline fuel pump & Filter added to the mess. The guy has done the EFI installs before. The last was a 'Rat Rod' 48 Ford F1 that got a 5.0/5 speed It turned out very well done.
I wouldn't have a clue how to do it. Thank God for 20-something guys with no fear of computers.:hammer:

Yeah the electric components introduce an element of 'magic' for me on these new trucks.

Ryan

Crager SSs

5 x 139? Oh, Metric!! lol. 15" dia. front & rear, 10" wide rear, 7" front. 5 on 4.5" B.C. As for back spacing, I'll have to go measure them. But they are around 3.5" front & 4.5" [+ -] rear.:confused:

Isn't 5 x 139.7 the standard bolt pattern for the Effies?,thought i read that somewhere. I have 275-60-15 tires mounted on 8"+- wide Keystone wheels. The Keystones are very similiar to the Crager S/S and are fine for the rear but on the front with standard steering & suspension plus a 429 I will not attempt to parallel park this rig. I'm considering narrower Cragers for the front. I've only had the 55 F100 for a couple weeks and still looking at my options and budget.

Sorry, I'm not up on metrics without a conversion chart. The original bolt pattern (5 on 5 1/2"), was used by Ford from 1928 thru at least the late 70s or mid 80s. (on Trucks) that is. Passenger cars were the same pattern up to 1948,
and went to 5 on 4 1/2" in 1949 up to around the mid 70s when they started moving to 5 on 5".

Keep us posted on how the installation went with the EFI, I put a 91 Mustang motor in mine but chickened out on the electronics and put an Edelbrock manifold and carb on, the computer is to confusing so I stuck with what I know, best of luck on yours. Spike

I'll keep you informed as things happen. Nothing new, just removed the grille & lights & started a cut to allow the fenders to be pulled in at an angle. The procedure lightens the front appearance. I'm thinking about what to use as a front bumper. Maybe two small 'nerf' bars? Or maybe a '29 Ford front bumper. I haven't made a decision yet. Anyone with good ideas out there ?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts