Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear End Work

I just got done basically living in my shop this past weekend. Got new drums and all the bells and whistles, took out my axle, and nice to see...water in the axle fluid, so i dropped the pumpkin and cleaned her all out. Looked at the drums and noticed a nice crack all the way through them, got new brake cylinders and all the works. and also new U-Joints and they where shot! any ideas on how much a driveline would run me?

But a good thing came out of it. just got a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 in it 113k for $1,000! Only thing is it dont have reverse so im gonna buy a tranny and do it myself, basically what im askin is any ideas on what to replace (far as oil and what not) its been sittin over a year and how easy it is to drop a tranny out?? Because i sure as hell aint payin $2500 for some yahoo to do it.

Last edited:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
if its 4wd, you have the extra d-shaft and a transfer case to unbolt...
If its 2wd its pretty simple. If you can handle the rear you can do the trans...

bell housing bolts. electrical lines, (torque converter bolts if its auto) starter needs to be pulled. Drive shaft and trans crossmember....

†BobbyHill†;506921 said:
alright its a 4x4 so i heard it will be a pain in the *** and a half to do it,...
It's all in your attitude, dude! :)

I find doing stuff like that fun.

"if you can get past the smell, you got it licked ;)"
-cowboy and lion huntin' buddy

It's all in the attitude, see it now?

Alvin in AZ
ps-
"so what you are saying is, you will swallow a bean but choke on a flea? :/"
-William F Buckley on B&W TV when I was a kid

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
Exactly, I don't really consider it that bad, but to someone with less experience and equipment might think it hard...

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
It's really not. I've done it numerous times on my 250.
The last few times I benches the t-case out and used a jack on the trans.
It really is easier than you would think...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts