Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear Brakes Help!!!!!!

I have a DANA 60 3/4 ton rear axle. When I bought the truck the emergency brake cables were not hooked up so I removed the hub and put the cable on and they are too short. I am thinking these cables are for a 1/2 ton with whatever was in it. Are the cables different lengths or what? If so I need a set that will fit a swb truck with a dana 60. also there is oil on my drum. when I took the keepers and bearing out they were barely snug. How tight should they be b/f you bend the keeper tabs. The seal looked good, but I might replace it just to be safe. Help me out fellas.

how short is to short? there is some ajustment on the cables that can be made farther up toward the front of the bed with the long threaded rod just make sure to soak good with wd40 first as they get seized

yes, there are several lengths, was able to get the proper ones from NAPA, an older store that actually looked them up in a '76 book they had
yeah, replace the seal and clean and inspect the hub, mine had a groove worn in it, cleaned and put a "ready sleeve" (thin tube that presses on the hub to repair)
if you can feel or see a groove, it need repair or it will continue to leak
wheel bearing tightening procedure is in Haynes or other manuals, be sure to clean and grease pack the bearings as oil only occasionally gets there through the axle tubes

how short is to short? there is some ajustment on the cables that can be made farther up toward the front of the bed with the long threaded rod just make sure to soak good with wd40 first as they get seized

I am not talking about outside of the hub. I am talking about b/t the fitting that slips into the back of the hub and the slot that it goes in. It is about 4-5 inches too short.

There are about 15 different configuration for E-brake cables.

I'll post a chart for you .

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
There are about 15 different configuration for E-brake cables.

I'll post a chart for you .

Yeah, I had a heck of a time trying to get the right ones for my truck too. You and Bill helped me out with that though. BTW Dennis, did you ever get your Brake pedal??

It arrived today.Huge Thanks, I was supposed to pick it up tomorrow but, the lady at the PO allowed me to get it tonight cause we are getting a huge snow storm tonight.

I need to instruct you on mailing procedures ;)

I'm still looking for a box to put your horn pad in.

I don't get out much these days :(

So I take it this truck is a 78 F250 4x4 133" WB with a dana 60 ?

Your part list should be 40-B

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I was supposed to pick it up tomorrow but, the lady at the PO allowed me to get it tonight cause we are getting a huge snow storm tonight.

Has it started yet there Dennis?..it's fairly nasty here.

Got it big time.

Would you like to see the movie ?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Sure!...the snow stopped here last night and has just now started again...but that wind is something else...and it's not like we don't get wind here eh?

No snow accumulation on the streets.No need for shoveling for me.
The main problem was driving in it.
Presently:
Wind is light to gusts.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts