Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Putting a carb on a Mod..

oOOoOooOOoh Doc.......

You know you want this under your hood :rolleyes:
hrdp_0804_02_z+ford_4_6_engine+high_performance_engine_front_view.jpg

I want a three-deuce setup on my 4.6L or even a dual quad. That would be sick... :p

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I want a Carter 1 bbl

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
If I put a hot cam in my motor now as it sits with that? that thing would run like a stiped assed ape!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I have to get back to work first, but I am willing to put aside all my other projects to get that!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'd be willing to bet that the ignition system on your truck (Doc) is more efficient and burns fuel more efficiently, giving more power. I can't imagine that they would have spent all the time and money (clearly your system is a lot harder to manufacture) to design and implement that system when going back to a carb would have been a safer bet. That ignition system you've got is pretty advanced.

Just speculation of course.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Like I said, its probably just designed for special, high end, wicked builds. not a common daily driver.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
But I think you could achieve the same, if not better, effects from upgrading the injectors and coil packs on the existing mod motor (assuming you've got other mods to complement the increase fuel and spark).

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I'd be willing to bet that the ignition system on your truck (Doc) is more efficient and burns fuel more efficiently, giving more power. I can't imagine that they would have spent all the time and money (clearly your system is a lot harder to manufacture) to design and implement that system when going back to a carb would have been a safer bet. That ignition system you've got is pretty advanced.

Just speculation of course.

Oh I'm sure it is fine, but you know my theory....If it ain't broke, fix it till it is! LOL

They are going on about the upper RPM's and I have noticed mine plateauing(sp?) at the higher RPM's.

I am curious to see if it is worth it to do that then get the computer flashed or just try the computer first and go from there. We need more research.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Oh I'm sure it is fine, but you know my theory....If it ain't broke, fix it till it is! LOL

They are going on about the upper RPM's and I have noticed mine plateauing(sp?) at the higher RPM's.

I am curious to see if it is worth it to do that then get the computer flashed or just try the computer first and go from there. We need more research.
Being that your engine is almost entirely computer controlled, I'd be more inclined to believe that a computer flash would be MORE of a step in the right direction. My brother's 7.3L can pick up something like 75hp just from a different program on his computer-- add bigger injectors and it puts him up at something like 150hp over stock. It's rigoddamndiculous.

Of course I know comparing gassers to PSD's is apples to oranges. But it applies a little more with your modular motor because it's highly computer controlled like his PSD.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Yep, I think the flash would be a good start. Even if I decide to go with it later down the road, I should be able to adjust the flash. but seriously, would it not be cool to look under your hood and say "yep, its a Holley!" HAHAHA

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
if you want to tune your mod motor, get an Xcal2 and their power programmer software, you can adjust everything in the CPU.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I have a guy locally that will dyno tune it for $500. But I hate to piss the money away on that if this carb mod can be installed and then have to pay to tune it again to get more HP. Don't get me wrong my 5.4 definatly gets outta its own way now, but I am always looking for more.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Yep, I think the flash would be a good start. Even if I decide to go with it later down the road, I should be able to adjust the flash. but seriously, would it not be cool to look under your hood and say "yep, its a Holley!" HAHAHA

that's what ill be saying :D woohoo 'biteme'

nah but you will be better of by trying to tune it or something..

in my case i didn't want to run a whole new engine harnass n stuff thats why i went with a carb "hollleeeeey":rofl: 'peace'

Last edited:

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
No dice for me, there are no carb intakes for the 99 and older DOHC 4.6s as they have dual port heads. I could change the heads, but by that time I would have already spent enough money that I could have just put a kenne bell 2.1 on there and be done with it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts