Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pulling the 351w tomorrow. Tips, suggestions?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
So I've been pretty handy with fixing my own vehicles but I've never undergone anything as extensive as rebuilding a motor. I'll be pulling this this out tomorrow.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I figure I'll have plenty of engine coolant to dispose of. What do you do with that crap?

Any suggestions? Things you overlooked the first time you wish you knew about? I am full of stupid questions. Do you guys use straps or chains to pull it? Do you wrap them all the way around the engine, or find something strong to bolt onto from the top?

Ryan

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Drain all the fluids, take them to the dump. I use a chain sling that you can either bolt onto the intake where the carb goes or use a couple of bolts from where the intake manifold bolts to the block. Don't try to wrap a chain around the entire engine.
Take off all the accessories....water pump, alternator, fan etc...makes it easier to get the engine out.
Put something under the front of the transmission to take the weight...if you are leaving the transmission in.
You may need to remove the hood for clearance.
When you go to lift the actual engine out, put a little tension on the lift and use a prybar by the mounts..sometimes they stick a little bit and you don't want a huge release of tension.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Drain all the fluids, take them to the dump. I use a chain sling that you can either bolt onto the intake where the carb goes or use a couple of bolts from where the intake manifold bolts to the block. Don't try to wrap a chain around the entire engine.
Take off all the accessories....water pump, alternator, fan etc...makes it easier to get the engine out.
Put something under the front of the transmission to take the weight...if you are leaving the transmission in.
You may need to remove the hood for clearance.
When you go to lift the actual engine out, put a little tension on the lift and use a prybar by the mounts..sometimes they stick a little bit and you don't want a huge release of tension.

Did you fab your chain sling or do some places already have these mocked up?

I was going to leave the transmission in the truck. Are it's current mounts not sufficient? Maybe just use a standard jack?

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Agreed... Don't forget ground wires. I also let all the air out of my tires to make working over the grille a little easier. Parts stores around her also accept used fluids.

Probably putting the cart before the horse, but when putting the engine back in, or test fitting, get one of those 'slings' that allow you to adjust the angle of the engine...makes lining it up with the trans a bit easier.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

They have manifold plates that I use for carb engines, and just use extender chains from the hoist hook to the plate.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

I was going to leave the transmission in the truck. Are it's current mounts not sufficient? Maybe just use a standard jack?

Ryan

I bought a sling from a place like HF. The mounts are fine, but it just helps to take strain off the mounts...I use a wooden block.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
dont forget about the grounds.

make sure all wires and fuel line is out of the way.. I use bungie Cords

pull the hood. but mark around where the hood mounts to the hinge. that way it goes back on straight.

pull radiator.

pull all accessories off, including fan.

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!!!!!!!

Fellro

Staff member
I just use about 3' of 1/4" chain. The slings are nice to have as well. Find a bolt hole on each end of the motor to put the chain on to. I don't think Ford put any lifting eyes on from the factory. There are provisions to hook up to on the ends of the heads where the accessories bolt to, I generally try to get into those. You may have to make the hole through the chain a little bigger, so you can take a hammer to the ends of the chain link that will go where you want it, and then that will open up the link a bit when the sides of the oval bow out.

The advantage of using the chain like that is that you can keep it short when you need to, in situations where limited ceiling clearance or hoist travel make it necessary, you can keep the chain shorter. You simply pass a bolt through the chain link and bolt it to the head. Might be worth it on that one to take the intake off as well, so you don't have to come up and over the intake.

You will want to have a floor jack or such hold the front of the trans up, or it will nose dive. In order to get clear of the bell, you will have to raise it up some. Won't hurt to leave it tilted upward, and does help in putting it back in.

I tend to not take all of the accessories off unless needed. A/C pump I will, especially if the air still works. Power steering pump will make a huge mess if you take the lines loose, so I do tend to take it loose as well. I don't generally take the water pump off, it rides out with the motor, but do take the fan off. Pull the radiator for safety, I have bumped enough of them over my early experiences to figure out it is better to take the little bit of time to go ahead and pull it over leaving it.

As noted multiple times, check and recheck that you got the whole thing disconnected, have missed things before and damaged a wire, or trans cable or such by overlooking it.

Since this is your first time, label everything. If you have much for tin cans or jars around, or even a bunch of tupperware type containers, use them for the bolts and such, then label where they go. Get some tags to label what the wires go to so you can remember where to go with them.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Cool, good post Roger.

I was thinking about using the places on the lower intake that the bolts came out of.

I have plenty of zip lock bags laying around and a sharpie to write, so that's what I had planned.

Thanks for the tips guys. Keep 'em coming.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
I did see one, mounted on the front of the exhaust manifold, right behind the a/c pump on mine.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Pretty much what everyone else said already.

enginein01.jpg

Enggoingin01.jpg

I don't know if these pictures help much but you can kind of see where you bolt the chain to the head in the first picture and how short to keep the chain in the second picture so you can go as high up as possible for more room. Sorry I don't have any better pictures.

Fellro

Staff member
I neglected to state that you can pass the chain through the lift hook, then use a bolt to hold it . I pass one link through the chain and basically pin the chain link on the other side of the link it is passed through, instead of using the bolt to hold any actual load.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I use zip lock baggies and a sharpie to store and label all the bolts and nuts.
I use tape and a Sharpie to label wires and hoses also.

Last edited:

BIGRED911

Charter Member
The only thing other than my cummins that I like about the dudge is its easy to yank the motor...ten minutes I can have the hood front bumper I/c radiator and everything outa the way...engine out in under an hour...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts