Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

problem

How many miles on this engine ?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
If you have two gas tanks, there is a 6" piece of rubber hose behind the midship tank that can only be accessed by removing the midship tank. I didn't have any fuel delivery problems, but the piece of rubber hose was badly weatherchecked. This was on a '78 with a plastic midship tank. I don't if other years are similar.

If you have two gas tanks, there is a 6" piece of rubber hose behind the midship tank that can only be accessed by removing the midship tank. I didn't have any fuel delivery problems, but the piece of rubber hose was badly weatherchecked. This was on a '78 with a plastic midship tank. I don't if other years are similar.

It only has 1 gas tank

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Might have to jet that carb or play around with the springs and metering rods to get it right. Get a Edelbrock jet and metering rod kit from a parts store and then just look in the manual that came with the carb or go on to edelbrocks website to figure out what rods, jets and springs you can try. Ive had some minor hiccups like that with my edelbrock and it was usually just needed a little tunin to get it right.

Might have to jet that carb or play around with the springs and metering rods to get it right. Get a Edelbrock jet and metering rod kit from a parts store and then just look in the manual that came with the carb or go on to edelbrocks website to figure out what rods, jets and springs you can try. Ive had some minor hiccups like that with my edelbrock and it was usually just needed a little tunin to get it right.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but it was fine for like 5 months, so I don't see how those could get messed up. But I'm sure you would know better than I would, I am fairly new at this, this is my first vehicle.

I am going to try and upload a video tonight so you can see/hear exactly what I'm talking about. I will put the camera on the dash so you can see the size of the hill.

Other things that can cause this problem

Broken or frayed ignition primary circuit wire.

Check ALL plastic connections pertaining to ignition for these type wires.

Distributor wearing out

Timing Chain and gears wearing out

Fuel Filter
Sock filter on fuel pickup in fuel tank is getting plugged
Sucking air in fuel line.

Depending on angle of slope and period of time on it..fuel pick up loss.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I'm not saying you are wrong, but it was fine for like 5 months, so I don't see how those could get messed up. But I'm sure you would know better than I would, I am fairly new at this, this is my first vehicle.

Well just cause its new dont mean itll automaticly work for your application. They jet em for sea level when they make em and itll be way too rich if your 1000 feet or higher above sea level anything below that is usually ok. Theres also other stuff that can affect it like what Dennis posted. Did you have the carb tuned after ya put it on? Im by no means an expert on carbs I just have experiance with the edelbrocks on my trucks that weve had to re jet and mess with the metering rods and stuff to get it to run right.

Have you pulled the fuel line off the carburetor and put a fuel pressure gauge into the fuel line and then crank the engine to see what the fuel pressure is like ?? Anything less than 5 psi would be a concern to me. Good luck. 75hiboy

Have you pulled the fuel line off the carburetor and put a fuel pressure gauge into the fuel line and then crank the engine to see what the fuel pressure is like ?? Anything less than 5 psi would be a concern to me. Good luck. 75hiboy

Haven't tried it, but that sounds like a good idea, I will get a gauge and try that.

Well it turned out to be a loose spark plug, I can't believe I missed it. You could see it jumping around, I guess I never really looked at the wires while it was running. Anyway it is a big relief that I got it fixed and thanks a lot for all your advice.

I doubt that really was the problem considering what you worded the symptoms.

But I have to ask, was it the #1 plug ?

Next time run the engine at night when it's dark.It makes it much easier to see any problems.

I doubt that really was the problem considering what you worded the symptoms.

But I have to ask, was it the #1 plug ?

Next time run the engine at night when it's dark.It makes it much easier to see any problems.

Well that definitely was the problem because it runs great up hills now, it was so loose it looked like it was about ready to fall out, I'm surprised that cylinder even fired at all.At the moment I have one old plug and two old plug wires but I will fix that soon.the threads were messed up and it had a bunch of crap on the end plus the wire was messed up. it was the second plug in from the right side, I really don't know how it got loose.Hopefully there won't be a next time, I've had the truck over two years and this is probably the worst problem I've had.

Okay, I'll believe you this time ;)

So you might say the engine went #2 ? :)

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
When I do plugs I always tighten em fairly tight the first time then go back after Ive warmed the motor up to operatin temp and let it cool off enough to tighten em some more (dont kill em or youll break em).

loudandlifted

bleeds oval blue
i was having the same problems except mine was the fuel pump

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts