Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

problem

I am having a problem with my truck when going up a hill, it's hard to describe but its kind of like the fuel flow being cut off for just a split second or like the engine spitting, and if I give it more gas it does it more and then starts to bog down the engine. Does anybody know what might cause this? I thought maybe it was probably the fuel filter so I replaced that, but it didn't help. Then I thought maybe it was because it was only running at 170 degrees and not burning the fuel correctly, so I put in a warmer thermostat but that didn't help either. iI has a new Edelbrock carburetor I put in this spring and it is a 351m. Does anyone know what might cause this? accelerator pump maybe? It was fine for months after I put in the carburetor but started doing this after I put in a new radiator in the fall which is why I thought it was the temp, but it was fine for a month or so after that. Thanks

sounds to me like a bad plug wire, possible split boot or shorting out on something. Raise the hood at night and rev the engine off idle a few times and watch for spark jumping.Also check cap and rotor. Had a tune up lately? Randy.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
sounds to me like a bad plug wire, possible split boot or shorting out on something. Raise the hood at night and rev the engine off idle a few times and watch for spark jumping.Also check cap and rotor. Had a tune up lately? Randy.

thats what i was gonna say was give it a full tune up and go from there. just had forgot to reply earlier. sorry dude....

thanks for the tips, I will definitely check that out but I did replace the plugs, plug wires, cap and roter July 9, 2008 and I've driven less than 7,000 miles since then.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
yeah easiest and cheapest (free) thing to do is look over all of that. make sure nothing is fould/damaged. if a plug wire appears damaged then you can take some electrical tape and wrap it and drive it and see if that causes the miss to go away.

Check for OLD rubber line in the fuel line.

Rubber hose eventually breaks down and that causes fuel pumps to suck AIR with intermittent fuel causing the symptom you mention.

There should be as much STEEL line installed as possible.

The T-stat shouldn't be any less than 180*F

195*F is best all year round

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Dennis is 100% on the money with that rubber fuel line issue..I had the same problem with a 79 Bronco, there were almost invisible cracks in the rubber fuel line.

well I checked out the plug wires and one of the boots was messed up inside and was just sitting on the dist. cap so I stuck one of the old ones on but it didn't fix the problem. I adjusted the carb to the rich side,in case that might help but I haven't tried it yet.

How steep of a hill we talkin?

Pretty much any hill, but on the steep hills it seems to be ok while going up the steepest part, but then once I get over the top and it starts getting flatter is when it really acts up, I can barley keep it at the speed limit. Also I forgot to mention that the inside of the carb and parts of the air filter are black from this and when it happens, the heat seems to get hotter.

Check for OLD rubber line in the fuel line.

Rubber hose eventually breaks down and that causes fuel pumps to suck AIR with intermittent fuel causing the symptom you mention.

There should be as much STEEL line installed as possible.

The T-stat shouldn't be any less than 180*F

195*F is best all year round

I will check that out but I think all the rubber line is new

The thermostat I had in it was a 180* but the truck was running at 170* now I have a 190*

ok, there are 2 sections of old rubber line under the truck, and the one at the gas tank has an actual hole in it! I put hose repair tape around it temporarily and I will replace it tomorrow if its not too cold but it looks kind of hard to replace, because the clamp at the tank is back in between the frame and bed floor. i will let you know if the problem is fixed when I drive it later tonight.

I don't know man... sounds like a carb issue to me. Those lines need replacing but I bet it's the carb.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts