Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Post a pic of your dent

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Carefull though, it won't fit the 73-77 bumper. You'll have to get a 78-79 bumper.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
UNRULEE...those trucks are great looking...way to get thethread back on topic...haha.

Dan...I believe JBG now makes a reproduction of that push bar...FYI.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
It's shaped different. Kind of hard to explain, but the 78-79 is more squared off at the top and the 73-77 is rounded more. If you compare the 5th and 6th pics I posted you may notice it. The 5th pic is with the "earlier" bumper.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Oh yeah, and the reason that I went with the "correct" bumper for my truck is pretty much just to get that pushbar on there. I bought it with a 78-79 bumper but the chrome was very pitted and rusty. I later found a 72 F150 with an excellent bumper on it and used it instead......for a while.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah chrome that aint factory dont last more than a year or two unless ya wax the crap out of it Ill be gettin the black one like the one on my 85 (from the same manufacterer go figure).

Ok, how about some actual pics to lighten the mood.

Here's a few "dents" YelloThumbUp

The '77 150 that started it all for me. My dad bought it in 1980 and its the only truck he owned untill he bought his new 2000 Sduty. And yeah he still has it, we're in the process of a complete body and drivetrain refurbish. I have so many memories in that truck!

Dads1977F150.jpg

And then there was the '78 150 that I had in high school. Nice truck, was this way when I bought it, minus the 33" BFG Muds. I sacked a lot of groceries to pay for those! 3" Rancho lift. This is the day I sold it.

1978F150DayIsoldit.jpg

Then there's the current 1979 F250 that I still (and will always) own. Here's the day that I brought it home. Only 38,000 miles on the clock!!!

1979F250FirstDayHome.jpg

Lookin' a little different, add a leaves all around with (terrible I know, but they were cheap and large) BFG all terrains. Didn't rub! Tinted the rear window and added a couple of lights up front.

1979F250addaleavesand35BFGs.jpg

Bolted on the current wheel/tire combo for the first time. Made a big difference in looks and off-road performance. Also seen is the tube grill, 4" lift and larger side molding in the "dent".

1979F250brandnewshoes.jpg

Here's pretty much how she looks today. Many hours of enjoyable wrenching later.

IMG_1235.jpg

Here's my buddy's 1978 F150 and my '79 250 posing rock crawler at a local lake back when my truck was very stock.

MeandRandyontherocks.jpg

......and here's the 1979 F150 two wheeler that me and dad picked up last saturday for $800, hahaha! Aside form the little bit of surface rust it's in great shape and will be at some point donating it's box and various other things to my 79 250 and dad's 77 150. I hate to do that to a functional supercab, but at least it's not a 4x and it's not getting crushed. Pretty sure that it had the factory cb in it. Found the wiring for it and a instruction manual in the glove box. My '05 and dad's '00 Sdutys in the backdrop.

IMG_1683.jpg

My truck will basicly look like your f250 minus the 5 star and molding in the dent im contemplating on keeping the 79 grill style or not yours makes it look good though.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Thanks but what's a 5 star?

2HI2CU

North Carolina Chapter member
NC
I believe that he's talking about the 5 star wheels on your buddies truck in the fore ground of that one pic,that's all I could see!?!?!

Ok thanks fellers. Whats different about the 78-79 compared to my 76?

Here is something I threw together about the front bumper differences:

Heres some good info on the factory push bars:

This is a factory correct push bar for the 78-79 Bronco's and F-series:

dsc02540.jpg

There was an early style bar like this that fit the 77 style bumper.

Mounts for a 77 model:

DSC01079.JPG

Mounts for the 78-79 bumper:

dsc01739.jpg

You can see the difference in the way the top mount plate is bent. The problem comes when trying to mount the bottom bolts. 77 style on a 78-79 truck:

DSC01078.JPG

It just won't work. So best bet is to match up the style of the upper mounting plate, by the pics it looks like an early model, and if you plan on using it on a 78-79 forget about it.

Woops, for some reason I thought the talk was on OE bars.

An F-150 bar won't work on an F-250/350 unless it is bumper mounted top and bottom. Most of the 1/2 ton bars I've seen the lower mount goes to the outside of the frame rail behind the bumper. On an F-250/350 the front leaf spring hangars are in the way.

You can see on this bar how the lower mount wraps under the bumper.

dsc00417.jpg

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Ya thats what im lookin at is the bumper mounted one for my 76. I was just wonderin if the bumper mounted brushgaurd for a 78-79 will work on my 76.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
It'll work. The push bar that I have works fine on my f250 because it attaches with the 4 bumper bolts, that's it. It doesn't wrap underneath.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts