Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Payback sucks...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Bertha is mad at me for buying the black truck...

Went up to Newcastle late last night to pick up Bertha-- was planning on driving her home this morning. Well I drove her to get gas last night to ensure all was well before the trip -- go back near home and juiced it. Immediately smelled coolant, BAD. So I get it home as quickly as possible and as soon as I stop moving the truck is enveloped in steam... :headbang: Now I'm thinking I BLEW THE SAME DAMNED INTAKE GASKET!!

I pop the hood and to no surprise there is coolant EVERYWHERE. So I start searching... Turns out a rubber stopper on a coolant line that I deleted had rotted and burst, spraying the coolant everywhere. I had spares so I stuck a new one on and housed out the engine bay. All was well again... PHEW.

Wake up this morning and I'm ready to go at 5:30am. Crank the engine -- click. What? The battery had a good charge last night. Whatever -- I pull out my moms car and hook up the cables -- click. Get her down to step on the gas while I crank -- click. This went on for a while -- I checked all the connections and all seemed well. Right when I was about to give up I got an idea -- grabbed a large screw driver and rapped on the starter. Started right up.

Drive it towards the freeway and stop at the gas station for one last check -- pop the hood and I smell coolant. I blew the OTHER rubber stopper! This time it only dribbled a little bit-- not too bad. I replace that stopper and hop back in to fire the engine back up. Click... Oh crap... My tools are all back in the bay area so I scrounge something out of my toolbox -- a large metal file. I climb under and bang on the starter -- the back up to turn the key. Then back down, then back up. Over and over. I finally worked up the nerve to ask a dude in a Dodge pickup (talk about tail between your legs) and before I got to him he jumped in his truck and drove away :guns:

Nobody else around so I head back to my truck and then get a brilliant idea. I've got remote start! Back under the truck, hit the start button, then start pounding away. Took 4 or 5 tries and I was about it give up when FINALLY it fired. WOO!!

The rest of the trip was smooth sailing :) Except I had to top off my coolant and now my e-fan temp probe is not getting good readings-- I think I need to burp the system or something...

Anyway... Bertha will be getting a new Motorcraft starter tonight... Hopefully that will end the hissy fits...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If you'd'a swapped in a ZF-5 already, I'd tell you to just park on hills and you'd be golden for the foreseeable future.

Maybe that's what she's really asking for.

EDIT: OK, I'll admit I got a little knot in my gut at the mention of that "click". I been there, too.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The high class ladies like to pitch fits...but once you give them the attention they deserve they warm back up to you.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Should have just let me buy her... ;)

Chicks are Bi!(#e$.....mechanical I mean(yeah that's what I mean).

I'd have gotten Bertha for you...just for fun....I've seen more than one chick lose her cool(ant).

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Apparently she wasn't done rubbing my nose the in the tuxedo black dog poop -- the e-fan temp-switch is on the fritz now. It's been running all damned day. She DID start up first try after work but I think she's trying to throw me off the scent. "The starter is fine Chris. Just drive me to work tomorrow. It'll be good." If she keeps this up I WILL sell her to Josh. She'll cut the attitude right quick!

Still happy to have her back home again... Been over a year now...

89cf3365.jpg

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
New starter is installed. So naive of me to think it would be a routine RnR. Got the new one COMPLETELY installed and the wires all clamped on. Then I tried to be clever and install the plastic guard on the two main electrical studs and SNAPPED THE SPADE CONNECTOR ON THE GROUND WIRE CLEAN IN HALF!!! Damned thing was corroded so bad it snapped like twig. And it turns out the little plastic guard doesn't even fit on the new studs anyway!!!

Anyway... I grabbed my trusty electrical toolbox and luckily had enough length in the wire to crimp a new spade connector back on.

Nice try Bertha.

Now your just showin' off dude....

It was a good thing the lead snapped. You have fresh connections now that won't kill the equipment

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I'm happy for you. I gotta say that is really one of the most awesome trucks on the face of the earth...

My SuperCab is sitting in storage in Bozeman and it kills me... I wanna convert it to 4x4, put a nice pickup box on it and I have plans for a Cummins swap hanging around in the back of my mind. But I have no room for it over here and it really wouldn't be useful for anything.

Can't wait for the pics of the truck and Mustang together!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts